#1 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

Hi folks

I ordered a flasher unit from minispares a few months ago, and it has broken already (doesn’t flash). I replaced it with the hazard unit for the time being (however this flashes slower than the indicator unit, so don’t want to keep that long term).

Will I just complain and ask for a new one? Or is this a common problem?

If it’s common, what type of unit would you recommend?

Cheers

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:17 PM

Always complain if something hasn't lasted a reasonable amount of time, there are too many sub standard parts around.  It's easy to say this of course, I'm not very good at complaining when I have every right too.

#3 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

Just a thought but if you do end up needing to source another replacement yourself, it's worth considering an electronic unit rather than the original bi-metal cylinder type. I replaced a faulty aftermarket flasher in my car with this: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works perfectly. The added bonus with these electronic flashers is the indicator flashing speed will remain consistent unlike the original flasher units, which have a tendency to go faster or slower depending on how fast your alternator is spinning!

#4 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

Plus one for an electronic flasher - I bought a couple of these last year for both our '88 Designer and '90 Cooper and have been very happy with them. They make a very satisfying sound, and you can even see the relay moving through the clear can :lol:  (I'm easily amused) 

#5 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Plus one for an electronic flasher - I bought a couple of these last year for both our '88 Designer and '90 Cooper and have been very happy with them. They make a very satisfying sound, and you can even see the relay moving through the clear can :lol:  (I'm easily amused) 

Wish I'd seen those before - the unit I bought is completely silent, and I wouldn't mind having a bit of indicator noise satisfaction in my life!

#6 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Quincy, I’ll get one ordered!

I didn’t realise how much I would miss the ‘clicks’, so looking forward to having them back!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

That's interesting, I guess the big capacitor inside has something to do with it apparently not requiring an earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users