#1 Vanman33

Vanman33

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:59 PM

Hi all,

My van has all new suspension including cones, bushes etc, new Yoko's and an original set of Ripspeed Hi-Lo's.  It's not particularly low on 10" wheels and as such I fitted a set of new KYB Gas Adjust shock absorbers.  It just seems to 'bounce' more than any other Mini I have driven.

I have another classic car which was fitted with KYB"s and just switched to KONI Reds which has transformed it.  

Before I spend another fortune does anyone else have a similar experience with KYB's vs oil shocks or Koni's?

Thanks!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

My Clubman Estate does this, my front cones are old and sagged, rear are about 2 years old.

It bounces alot on the front, especially over speed cushions at 10mph

#3 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:57 PM

Hi-los stiffen the ride by altering the contact area with the rubber cone. They were designed to do this. And KYB gas-adjust are a 'sportier' damper. They do self adjust but they are fairly quick and firm.
That's all good for more enthusiastic driving, quick damping and less body roll. But for a smoother mini the standard trumpets and a softer damper will give a less choppy, (bouncy?) ride.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

Hi-los stiffen the ride by altering the contact area with the rubber cone. They were designed to do this. And KYB gas-adjust are a 'sportier' damper. They do self adjust but they are fairly quick and firm.
That's all good for more enthusiastic driving, quick damping and less body roll. But for a smoother mini the standard trumpets and a softer damper will give a less choppy, (bouncy?) ride.

My Estate is on standard trumpets, it's a nightmare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users