4 replies to this topic

#1 Kim1

Kim1

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

Please help. I purchased a LED third brake light for my 95 jdm mini and installed on the rear parcel shelf.  I connected it to the right rear tail light circuit. Works great when no headlights/taillights are illuminated but once the main headlights are on it flickers continuously. Pressing the brake pedal illuminates the new light but after a few seconds of releasing the brake it starts to flicker again. I tried changing the ground to the negative battery terminal without success. 

My search on the forum did not turn up a permanent solution to this issue. Would appreciate any input. 

Thanks,

Kim

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

Sounds like an earth fault on the lamp cluster you have connected the 3rd brake light to.

#3 Kim1

Kim1

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

Thanks. There is a black wire connected to the bottom of the rear light assembly. Could that be the ground wire for these lights?

Kim

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Black is usually ground on Minis.

#5 Kim1

Kim1

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

I checked and cleaned the ground wires on the right rear light cluster.  I checked all of the main fuses, cleaned connections and added dielectric grease. All running lights are operational with engine off and ignition in on position, (which lights the red dash battery light), yet still getting random flickering on led third brake light. Checked voltage with meter on rear brake light connection and could see some minor random 1-2 volts on brake light contact when lights on but brake pedal not pressed.

Some extraneous voltage must be getting into this circuit somehow. I assume it always did but since it is small it is not enough to illuminate the brake lights randomly compared to LED’s. Don’t think it could be through the brake light switch since with running lights off third brake light works properly. I did notice some very faint light bulb pulsing with just running lights on without engine started. 

Does this still sound like a ground fault issue that I should pursue?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users