4 replies to this topic

#1 bigshot

bigshot

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:22 AM

How do I replace the pinion in a remote gearbox that’s attached to an engine? From the front, I can get a socket on the big pinion retaining nut, and with the diff case removed I can see the pinion from the side, but I don’t have a way to jam the main shaft solidly enough to remove the nut. Anyone changed a pinion like this? Any advice?

These are straight-cut gears, but I’ll be replacing the pinion with a helical-cut version.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

I've not done it with a remote box, but the usual method it select 2 gears at once. I'd think that'd be possible if you remove the end cover.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

With the Speedo End Cover Off (as you've done to get your socket in there), remove the Interlock. The Pull the Top Selector Rod towards you and the Middle one away from you, you might need to rock the pinion a little to move the middle shaft as you will be locking the Gearbox in 1st and 4th gears.

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:21 AM

Yep, with the end cover removed you are then able to select gears using the 3 sliding plates, one does reverse, one does 1st& second and one does 3rd & 4th. Mak sure you select 1st and 4th as this is the strongest combination. I have heard of teeth cooming off using other gear combinations.

#5 bigshot

bigshot

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:38 PM

This is great news. Thanks very much. I'll get right on it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users