5 replies to this topic

#1 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

Hello all, I am deep involved in my project and I am currently looking for spare parts.

And I came across that, where I couldn't resist bringing home:

Hb9MdZNl.jpg

uwd2dODl.jpg

It's an automatic Mini, from 1981.

It's quite in a good shape, has the typical Mini orange-red thingy everywhere one can expect it. The subframes look to be very good for their nearly 40 years.

It got a respray some years ago, was originally gold (although I do not find or can't read the paint code (5125 014 on the smallest plate?), it's a grey-golden color)

The interior looks to be very good, it will need a good scrub to look like new :)

The big issue at the moment is that the engine is stuck, Diesel is already soaking in the cylinders for at least a week.

The plan for it is to restart it, do quick repairs on the body and make it road-going quite fast to be able to go back on my main project, but have a Mini to drive. But keep it's originality and let it as it is.

Is there anything to care about by restarting an auto? The engine is a 99hE21 (1985 requirements, could it be the original one?)

Just to resume:

- any idea of a production capacity in Belgium? I knowe they did build about 2000 cars/week in 1979 but that includes all models built there.

- Engine matching the production date?

- How to start an automatic which did not run for the last 10+ years?

Cheers,

Gilles

Edited by Gilles1000, 20 May 2022 - 09:16 PM.

#2 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:47 AM

After nearly two years a lot has happened there. The quick restart as stated in the title is, not so quick...

I had the opportunity to get another auto engine plus other specific parts as the original? engine is seized. This one sprang quickly into life directly on the floor. I built it in afterwards and did the brakes and ran a few meters in the yard. And could resell the spare parts (old engine, subframe) so it became a free engine swap :)

Then other priorities came and the car stayed in the shed for a while.

I put some effort in it in the end of last year again by taking the engine subframe out again, with all specific Automatic parts, which I could exchange after a 400km journey on the 31st december with one person vs. mechanical gearbox: engine, gear linkage, clutch MC...) and put it into life, directly with a Stage 1 kit. On the same day, later and up to 11:30pm I started the preparations to reinstall the engine in. It's been a nice New Year's Eve :)

Now I pulled it out again, worked a lot (3 weeks every late afternoon until the late night) for two main reasons:

- Build the engine and revised subframe in the car

- Gave it a new name. Frankie for Frankenstein. The reason behind is that I will try to implement all the modifications I plan for project Toto and test them.

- Rebuild the brake Master cylinder as the rod was wet.

- Checked all the electric gremlins (there were a lot). I took nearly every connection apart and cleaned them. 

- Rebuilt the Starter motor with new brushes, but there is still an issue with it with cold engine. I think there is some electrical issue in the power cable loom or in the solenoid.

- Did one week preparing (or bodging) the bodywork to close all the holes in the floor and preparing it for MOT

- brought it yesterday to the MOT, and - happy days - passed it !! Brakes are fine (new drums, cylinders and shoes all around), emissions more than good (1,16%, 4,5% authorized), mentions on damages on the bodywork.

Now I still have the paperwork and insurance to do and I can finally drive a Mini again :)

The goal is to have it reliable (can it be?) until end of May, to attend also my first Mini Meeting, the Mini Beer and Bretzel. Firstly I wanted to go to the IMM in Germany (300km one way) but as everybody knows it has been cancelled and some nice French and Swedish people reorganized one smaller event :) Now it's only 100km from where I have the Mini :)

And in May I have the plan to:

- have a free month not working for my company

- drive it a lot

- welding marathon on Toto, the bigger project (in fact the reason for the vacation)

- attend to the Beer and Bretzel Meeting

I will try to update this project also more regularly...

Cheers

Gilles

Edited by Gilles1000, 22 March 2022 - 10:39 AM.

#3 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:08 PM

Those orange seats look exactly the same as mine...

#4 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:41 AM

I think I can remember the pictures you posted once your car was still in one piece :)

They are the same, although more brownish than orange I would say.

#5 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:15 PM

Yesterday was a big day. First drive, no problems at all (beside a battery negative not well tightened, which resulted in no start at the petrol station...)

Brakes went a bit hot, I loosened a bit the drum adjusters.

eiBILB4l.jpg

Today I drove it again, no issues at all. Sportly driving, it didn't go over N temperature :)

It feels so good :) The engine runs also great. Running it again (40+ years old, it deserves it) and preparing my attendance to the Mini Beer and Brezel meeting next weekend :)

Can't wait !!!

#6 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 01:37 PM

After a running-in of nearly 400km with really minor issues (and a very nice Mini Beer and Bretzel meeting), time was up for some jobs.

dSYglw0l.jpg

UmxPRxNl.jpg

8FAXYHUl.jpg

2rmaXGUl.jpg

Last weekend I did an old change, which was in fact a 2-day.jobs as I did in the same time following:

- remove the driveshafts, disassembled the pot joints and clean them

- reassemble them together with new boots

- change the oil seals on the diff covers

- change the oil seal on the gear lever into the gearbox

- change the two cotton reel rubbers on the remote housing.

- DO NOT forget to refill fresh oil :)

- changed the ignition contacts and condensator as it showed some random failures. In fact it ran really poorly after the change. After having a look with my dad, we found HT cables of cyl 2 and 3 were wrong around... swapped them again and it ran fine , albeit with a bit too much advance.

Test drive it again.

Next jobs are:

- recheck the advance

- change the steering rack to chase a play somewhere in it,

- and change the two rear subframe rubbers as they are old and already cracked.

- drive it.

Cheers

Gilles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users