#1 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to fancy a set of 10's on my Mini... so I'm looking at converting my standard 8.4" brake setup to 7.5", with these two options currently under consideration:

Either the standard (cheaper) conversion kit from Minispares:

http://minispares.co...13.aspx|Back to

Or an upgraded spec 4-pot conversion kit (Paddy Hopkirk branded) from Minisport:

https://www.minispor...ersion-red.html

The idea of the 4 pot upgrade does appeal, but is the extra cost justified in relation to the improvement in braking performance over the standard 'S' setup? For context my car is a daily driven stage 1 998 so the stopping power isn't really needed for any racing / "high performance" driving per se, but I do like the idea of a stronger set of anchors even if just for the safety aspect. If anyone has experience with both types of brake systems it'd be great to hear your thoughts!

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

Yes, my mate with standard 7.5’s cooked his brakes yesterday, whilst I was fine on 4 pots, of course get decent pads such as Mintex.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

The performance upgrade of the 4 pots is negligible, especially on a road 998.

Many people use the standard S brakes in heavy competition without issue (me included).

However if you want to pay for bling!

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

have a read.

https://www.calverst...considerations/

take not of the comment regarding the 8.4  2 pot verses 8.4 4 pot.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Yes, my mate with standard 7.5’s cooked his brakes yesterday, whilst I was fine on 4 pots, of course get decent pads such as Mintex.

sorry useless post.

I have never cooked any 7.5s but have 8.4s

#6 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the real-life difference in performance is going to be negligible, so probably not worth spending twice as much on the 4-pot Hopkirk kit... no doubt the extra cash would be better put towards decent tyres when the time comes.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:59 PM

For a 998 you will be fine with the standard 7.5" discs and callipers. Use top quality pads such as standard Mintex or Ferodo) not EBC!).

For more agressive driving the Mintex 1144 are excellent and for out & out competition the Carbon-Metallic pads as sold by Mini Spares are the 'dog's whatsits'. I have had the discs actually glowing a dull red with the C-M pads, all with no sign of any fade or loss of friction. Brake fluid is AP600.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:07 PM

I have a Clubman Estate on 7.5 inch discs, I bought the kit from Huddersfield mini parts 3 years ago and it's been great since, the only issue I have is I need to change the rear wheel cylinders for a smaller bore set so I get a shorter travel on the pedal.

My car still has the original black tag master cylinder.

I can, if I push hard enough, lock all 4 wheels but the pedal is almost to the floor. Which is why I mentioned I need to change to smaller bore rear cylinders.

We have done a full fluid flush using Carlube Dot 4 fluid.

I hope this helps

Cal

Edited by cal844, 21 July 2020 - 10:08 PM.

#9 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:42 AM

I’ve just gone to 10” wheels//7.5” discs. Stuck with 2 pot callipers but after non-branded supply/quality control issues opted for genuine AP

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

I have come close to cooking the brakes, though 2 pot vs 4 pot wouldn't make any difference in that regards.

I will say though, without question, going to 4 pots (on the 8.4) does make pulling up about 100 better !  Better Braking capacity and less pedal effort.

#11 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the real-life difference in performance is going to be negligible, so probably not worth spending twice as much on the 4-pot Hopkirk kit... no doubt the extra cash would be better put towards decent tyres when the time comes.

For a low powered car, it really isn't worth it. If you want to start looking at efficency of suspension and brakes, then 4 pots is your way forward. Keith Calver does mention about a smaller disk and 4 pot vs larger disk for applications such as racing, however on a road car it just isn't worth it unless you've got mega power. The reason i went for kad 4 pots on 8.4" disks is for greater torque action and unsprung weight.

#12 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:21 AM

For a 998 you will be fine with the standard 7.5" discs and callipers. Use top quality pads such as standard Mintex or Ferodo) not EBC!).

For more agressive driving the Mintex 1144 are excellent and for out & out competition the Carbon-Metallic pads as sold by Mini Spares are the 'dog's whatsits'. I have had the discs actually glowing a dull red with the C-M pads, all with no sign of any fade or loss of friction. Brake fluid is AP600.

I fitted the Minispares genuine 7.5" conversion kit to replace my drums and it came with EBC black pads.  They seem to work alright but I have no other comparison on a Mini.  Why do you dislike the EBC pads?

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

My friend fitted 'Red Stuff' pads to his Cooper 'S' for an international historic rally in Belgium a few years ago. I was also doing the event and I had to let him have a set of my Carbon-Metallics because despite being told the Red Stuff was ideal for hard competition, they just faded.

I did have a set of Green Stuff which I didn't like as even on a road Mini with 8.5" brakes, when I tried to go quickly they didn't seem very fade resistant and they left a lot of brake dust on the wheels.

This was all a few years ago and they may have improved, but IMHO you can't beat Mintex for road use.

#14 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

I've never used EBC car brake pads but I had them on a mountain bike a few years ago and they were rubbish. The pad material used to separate from the backing plate

#15 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

I had a set of EBC delaminate on track and almost killed my passenger and I. The company didn't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users