#1 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

Part number GSV 1095 - upper steering column bush - is bigger that the one it is to replace.  Both are split down one side.

Is it assumed that one must massage that split to reduce the diameter of the bush?  Or is it just lousy manufacturing? 

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

Sadly Rick, I think it's the latter.

It's a while since I've needed to buy them and what I have is genuine, they fitted, firm, right out of the box.

#3 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:10 AM

Could I simply put a second, soaked in oil felt bush at the top end?

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:42 AM

In a pinch, perhaps, but I've never been thrilled by Felt Bushes. At the top of the column, it would flatten fairly quick with you hanging on and reefing around the steering wheel. Even the lower ones, I make a bush to fit in there in HDPE.

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

In a pinch, perhaps, but I've never been thrilled by Felt Bushes. At the top of the column, it would flatten fairly quick with you hanging on and reefing around the steering wheel. Even the lower ones, I make a bush to fit in there in HDPE.

Have you ever thought about marketing things you make like that?  I'm sure there would be a demand for high quality parts from those of us fed up with the cheaper stuff?

#6 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:49 AM

Yes, I would be interested in a quality item made to spec that fit correctly.  So, 1st order for an Upper Column bush!

#7 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

So, here is the NEW upper bush (Part No.  GSV 1095) and 2 old Cam Gears Ltd. items.

One can see where the accumulated stresses cracked the original items...the middle one I cleaned up and glued the broken piece back in.

Not confident about using the old glued together item.

https://scontent.fyv...fec&oe=5F3F94DE

Apart from greater outside diameter, the NEW item is different in other respects too.

https://scontent.fyv...87c&oe=5F3FB004

Edited by Hunter2, 23 July 2020 - 07:51 PM.

#8 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a related question, which way up does this bush go? I managed to leave my old one in place when I sent the outer column off with a bunch of other parts to be powder coated and it ended up being turned into a melted blob so don't have a reference point and I cannot find anything that clearly shows this by searching around here and the web in general. I'm assuming it's basically as per the second photo above with the chamfered edge pointing downwards?

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:30 AM

Correct - the chamfers are there to help you push it into place.

I must admit - I fitted one of these about  2 months ago and can't say I had a big problem.  Felt a little tight on the column when on the bench but it will soon wear to size and one installed in the car the steering was free enough.

Edited by GraemeC, 20 August 2020 - 09:32 AM.

#10 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:38 AM

Correct - the chamfers are there to help you push it into place.

I must admit - I fitted one of these about  2 months ago and can't say I had a big problem.  Felt a little tight on the column when on the bench but it will soon wear to size and one installed in the car the steering was free enough.

Thanks Graeme, that's what I thought, but wanted to check, I have had it in the column and yes it's a bit tight but not problematically so, certainly when I install it and it's greased it should be good....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users