#1 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

We drove the Sea to Sky hwy. to the Whistler Nordic Centre built for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

#2 Macming

Macming

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Miniclan

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

Just pasted your route into Google Maps and done a virtual step through, I don't know if the G maps tie in with todays seasons, But the scenery and views looks superb. Were you a lone traveler or in convoy, are your roads busy. ? Here in Scotland were slowly coming out of lockdown and travel restrictions are being eased somewhat. Going with the input into this and other Classic car forums I reckon there's only about 50% of all Classics roadworthy at the moment. The rest are being worked on ready for the all clear...........Stay safe.

#3 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:48 AM

Hi Minclan,

There were 12 Minis (incl. 1 MINI) that headed north...to where we could have a distance lunch at the Nordic Centre.  No one else there...we had the base of the Ski Jumps all to ourselves after climbing up Callaghan Creek into the old Glacial Cirque.

A Guest driving a 1963 Woody with 848 had his points fry...25 dizzy with vac advance, positive ground...we got a new 45D with mechanical advance (for a 1275) installed at the roadside.  Set idle etc. by hand, adjusted after going 'downhill' to Squamish.  His Mini ran like a champ some 35 miles to the start.  Owner said the best day ever since the Pandemic shut things down in March.  He also learned the Vancouver Mini Club leaves no one behind.

Heck of a way to recruit a new Member.

A Mini owner from Ukraine who occupied the other seat in my Mini for the VMC's 2015 Fall Escape showed up to drive his Jag sedan.  I said Oleg, jump in...we had a great time. 

I have photos but no easy way to upload them.  Photobucket is on a cost price push for more.  I'm not impressed.

Edited by Hunter2, 23 July 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#4 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:04 AM

it was our first real 'summer weekend' so traffic was steady heading north, all beach/camping exits were jammed...worse heading south from Squamish to Britannia Beach.

VMC has had two outdoor club meetings in June & July...on the regular night.  Bring your own food/beverages, chairs, waste bags.  Sit in a big circle and go through the business after a half hour of chatting.  Next Meeting will be outdoors at Crescent Beach to the south.

My 1973 Australian Mini Window Van is on the road with the fresh (2019) +100 1098 build.  Ran strong, crushed the long steep Furry Creek hill in 4th all the way on Sunday.

My 1961 Countryman build is coming slowly...been involved with the issue of moving two Heritage Buildings for a $140 Million underpass/overpass project in our town.  They sit immediately south of the CPR mainline and must be moved, so meeting with Port Metro Vancouver's Project Team and our small City government.

The Countryman will have a 1293 A Series with +20 Cooper S pistons on new A+ rods, on New A+ crank, just under 10:1 compression, New Swiftune cam, New Maniflow 3 into 1 Freeflow exhaust, New HIF 44 etc.  Power unit is built...now getting fuel tank and rear subbie in.  Front subbie went in after New steering rack.  New brake & fuel lines are in...pitter patter.

Again more photos but hard to get them up here.

Edited by Hunter2, 23 July 2020 - 03:05 AM.

#5 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

Hey Rick, I want to see your pictures! Try Imgur for your photos, similar to Photoracket but still free. Just copy and paste the BB code.

#6 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:29 AM

https://scontent.fyv...94f&oe=5F3E11FE

https://scontent.fyv...9eb&oe=5F3F4C62

https://scontent.fyv...81b&oe=5F3E3E7B

https://scontent.fyv...e8f&oe=5F3CEC66

Edited by Hunter2, 23 July 2020 - 03:36 AM.

#7 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

The ski-jump pic is a bit eerie looking. I wonder if those jumps ever get used now?

#8 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:05 PM

We could have fired rifles at the Biathalon range,  The accommodations for competitors are all there and ready to go.  The Ski Jumps, Luge & Bobsled track are all used every Winter.

When I first drove up into the Cirque years ago to Callaghan Lake in my Landcruiser, it was an old logging road.  Today, the last leg is still best thought of as a 4x4 road.

The view from the top of the Ski Jump:

https://cdn.whistler...k-ski-jumps.jpg

#9 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Looking down from on high over Callaghan Lake...

https://cdn.whistler...laghan-lake.jpg

#10 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

We could have fired rifles at the Biathalon range,  The accommodations for competitors are all there and ready to go.  The Ski Jumps, Luge & Bobsled track are all used every Winter.

When I first drove up into the Cirque years ago to Callaghan Lake in my Landcruiser, it was an old logging road.  Today, the last leg is still best thought of as a 4x4 road.

The view from the top of the Ski Jump:

https://cdn.whistler...k-ski-jumps.jpg

man that's steep - gives me vertigo just looking at the picture... O_O

#11 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

The Coast Range of mountains is mostly granitic but with basalt intrusions (volcanic activity) and some hot springs to the north and east.(Meagher Creek (north), Pitt River, Lillooet River and Harrison River/Lake (east).

Callaghan Lake is in a Glacial Cirque, a climb into it but not a particularly dramatic hanging valley.  The Circque with Slolicum Lake (east side of Harrison Lake) is a better representative of a hanging valley.  Glaciation left many hanging valleys in our mountains and the erosion of billions of tons of rocks filled the valley bottoms with everything from boulders to mixed gravels, sands and silts, as the Glaciers retreated.

Lots of steep mountainsides in this neck of the woods.  Easy to see how unprepared hikers get lost, skiers & snowboarders going out of bounds and down, and light planes flying into a valley they can not exit.

i have a friend (retired helicopter pilot) who has owned a Cessna 172 (more than 1) for years.  He would lease his planes to a flying school (when he was working as a hlicopter pilot) that would look after maintenance...his latest 172 replaces one that 3 students flew across B.C. to Calgary, Alberta.  On their return the flew into the Rocky Mountains but could not climb up out of the valley they entered (or loop back), flying into the trees.  The 3 students survived, having learned a hard lesson.  The Cessna did not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users