6 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

I have a 1988 restored mini. Came with an aftermarket two clock dash that I'm not in love with. The two clocks are the SPI type, just a speedo (which isn't matched to the engine/drive ratio so reads 10% low) and a fuel/temp gauge (with temp gauge reading never off the cold mark). 

So i'm looking at some changes, with more informative gauges (needs tacho and oil pressure etc). I could mod the dash to accept what I want/need, or perhaps swap it out entirely for a center binnacle style. 

I like the idea of gaining the front shelf for stowage. But does this eliminate front windscreen defog ducts and other heater related items? 

#2 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:27 PM

If you convert to a centre binnacle or perhaps even a later square binnacle in the same place as your current gauges (probably the easier option), you'll still be able to keep the screen demisters and fresh air vents while gaining the rather handy shelf space. You'll probably need to purchase the eyeball vent cowlings and the dash trim cards which cover up the demister ducting etc - http://minispares.co.../dash trim.aspx

Edit: just found this image online which shows the later dash setup with the 2 clock binnacle and open shelf area - you'll notice the black vinyl covered panels at the back and the vent cowl on the left:

ZAslhOs.jpg

Edited by W1NG3D, 21 July 2020 - 09:32 PM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

The centre binnacle dash still has front windscreen defog ducts and all other heater related items.

Converting To A Centre Speedo:-

http://www.theminifo...-centre-speedo/

Edited by mab01uk, 21 July 2020 - 10:04 PM.

#4 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

I’ve just done mine

Wiring conversion loom and speedo cable from mini spares, pretty much plug and play

You will need new parcel shelf cover and rear trim cards

#5 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

You may find the shelf and dash trim are all still there behind the aftermarket dash board. So you won't need them to go back to standard 2 clock binnacle

#6 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

You may find the shelf and dash trim are all still there behind the aftermarket dash board. So you won't need them to go back to standard 2 clock binnacle

Nah, had a look behind...just firewall and wires. The aftermarket dash has a "glove compartment" which has just a hinged door with nothing behind it....so anything you put in the opening just falls onto your feet ;-) Will need something fab'd up to be useful. 

#7 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

Optimise Automotive do a rather neat shelf for the front, it’s solid but just vinyl in the middle that goes over the top of the centre switches and heater making it easy to fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users