JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

Hi;

Before I start rebuilding my Gearbox and Engine, I'd like to confirm where and when to use gasket sealant and what type to use.

I have looked around but can't seem to find a definitive list or guide, it seems some gaskets don't need sealant and some do, but the when, where and what alludes me?

I bought some of this RTV Sealant to do the Rigid Half Moon Seal, but was also told I could use it everywhere a gasket sealant is needed?

Iv'e only ever used Blue Hylomar before (years ago when I used to play with Lambretta's.

Many thanks 

This could be a good STICKY  :lol:

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

There is only one gasket that I don’t use Hylomar blue on and that is the head gasket.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

There is only one gasket that I don’t use Hylomar blue on and that is the head gasket.

Even the Oil Oump?
So Hylomar Blue on every gasket in the engine and gearbox then would be your advice? What if I was building a show engine and didn’t want blue paste showing everywhere - is there a black or grey version?

What about the half moon seal (not a gasket I know) RTV Sealant as per the one I linked?

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 24 July 2020 - 11:04 AM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:06 AM

Sorry nothing on the oil pump gasket.

yep blue on the half moon seal.

just put it where it is needed and remove the excess (which there should not be much of).

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

Minispares now offers this upgraded gasket GUG705563GM to eradicate oil leaks, as introduced by Rover in 1997 for the MPi Minis.
"Latest state of the art Klinger material gasket, replacing 22A2237B for the clutch housing to help prevent oil leaks. Measures 31 thou or 0.81 mm thick but compresses to correct size when fitted. Using latest gasket technology to eradicate leaks it is the best available not requiring any sealant and torqued to 18lbs per sq ft.The manufacturer believes its an overkill to use Klinger material on a Mini but they are not aware of how the Mini leaks oil......Rover did however realise the problem and started using this type of gasket on the MPI models from 1997 on where they did not want expensive on labour warranty costs."
https://www.minispar...UG705563GM.aspx

ENGINE BLOCK UPGRADED GASKET SET-ALL MINI:-

http://www.minispare...UG701614CS.aspx

Edited by mab01uk, 24 July 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#6 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

Minispares now offers this upgraded gasket GUG705563GM to eradicate oil leaks, as introduced by Rover in 1997 for the MPi Minis.
"Latest state of the art Klinger material gasket, replacing 22A2237B for the clutch housing to help prevent oil leaks. Measures 31 thou or 0.81 mm thick but compresses to correct size when fitted. Using latest gasket technology to eradicate leaks it is the best available not requiring any sealant and torqued to 18lbs per sq ft.The manufacturer believes its an overkill to use Klinger material on a Mini but they are not aware of how the Mini leaks oil......Rover did however realise the problem and started using this type of gasket on the MPI models from 1997 on where they did not want expensive on labour warranty costs."
https://www.minispar...UG705563GM.aspx

ENGINE BLOCK UPGRADED GASKET SET-ALL MINI:-

http://www.minispare...UG701614CS.aspx

Luckily I bought the upgraded Block and Gearbox gasket GUG705563GM after being advised by one of the guys in our Mini club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users