10 replies to this topic

#1 Hahessy92

Hahessy92

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

I have my mini a couple of weeks now, and at first it was running fine. Lately, it would start fine, idling around 800rpm, after driving for a little while it would then begin to idle up and down from around 600 to 900rpm. This issue then passed. It has now started to idle a little rough (750 to 800rpm) but now the car will stall if left idling for a minute or so (at traffic lights) and won't start again.

Any ideas what needs to be changed/adjusted?

Many Thanks,
Adam.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

Does the car have a rev counter fitted? When it starts to play up observe the gauge.

If it's surging by a couple hundred rpm it's likely to be a fuel issue, if it spikes around 500-1000 rpm it is likely electrical.

Is the car spi or carb?!

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

If it is a carb I would check the float valve for flooding.It may be a good idea to renew it anyway.Steve..

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

If it is a carb I would check the float valve for flooding.It may be a good idea to renew it anyway.Steve..

Yes but to do that means removing the carb as it will be the HIF type, so the stabiliser bars need to be unbolted to let the engine come forward

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:57 AM

Its a recently bought Mini,the engine will soon need to be out,or the cylinder head removed,or the clutch changed,etc,etc.Only joking.Steve..

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Its a recently bought Mini,the engine will soon need to be out,or the cylinder head removed,or the clutch changed,etc,etc.Only joking.Steve..

Yup we had the engine out one of mine 3 times in a week a few years ago ??

#7 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

I would eliminate simple stuff before pulling it apart - ie choke and throttle stops/cables,  plugs + leads/ points/ distributor cap

#8 Hahessy92

Hahessy92

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the response and suggestions, much appreciated! The mini is an spi, with the engine being rebuilt around 300-400 miles ago (by the previous owner). There is a rev counter in the car. It starts without an issue, and idles nicely at just above 1000rpm. As I drive it around and stop at traffic lights etc. The idle begins to drop to about 1000rpm, then 800rpm until it stalls all together. Cal844, when you say fuel issue, do you mean bad fuel, or injector/line issue?

Thank you all again!

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the response and suggestions, much appreciated! The mini is an spi, with the engine being rebuilt around 300-400 miles ago (by the previous owner). There is a rev counter in the car. It starts without an issue, and idles nicely at just above 1000rpm. As I drive it around and stop at traffic lights etc. The idle begins to drop to about 1000rpm, then 800rpm until it stalls all together. Cal844, when you say fuel issue, do you mean bad fuel, or injector/line issue?

Thank you all again!

It could be bad fuel, how old is the fuel in the car?

#10 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:29 PM

I'd check the vac lines and fuel trap, then check them again. Even if they are relatively new. The ends get cracks you can't see easily. It caught me out when my Spi was stalling. The vac lines looked good but they were not.

#11 Hahessy92

Hahessy92

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions, looks like it may be an electrical issue. I sorted the stalling issue (was an insulated wire coming to ground). I messed around with some of the plugs under the bonnet and the car has been idling fine for the last week.

The electrics in the car are fairly knackered, so the above is only a temporary fix. Does anyone know a good garage to get the wiring loom looked at around the north London/Watford area? I would be keen to get it all redone however I lack the skill set for the electrical work.

Many Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users