#1 Daveontoast

Daveontoast

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

Hi all,

I’m at the final stages of a 20 month full rebuild of my mini, just sorting the last bits for the mot. Unfortunately I’ve got a weird rattle coming from my rebuilt engine. It’s coming from the timing chain area, and it’s louder at idle. I’ve removed the fan belt to rule out the water pump, alternator and fan blade. It’s running a med duplex timing chain without a tensioner and a med damper pulley. Before I go pulling everything apart, does anyone know if this is usual for a duplex? I’m thinking it could be the chain rubbing against the timing cover, but worried it could be something more serious like a loose bearing. Any help would be much appreciated.
Here’s a short video of the sound https://youtu.be/AS-wJ84oln8

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

I think some of the timing covers require some modification when fitting duplex setups.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:05 PM

Countersunk screws used?

Cover modified to give clearance?

fling disc the right way around?

#4 Daveontoast

Daveontoast

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. The screws were countersunk for the thrust plate, the timing cover is a 998 one without the breather. As far I’m aware these don’t need modifying to fit a duplex or am I wrong? Pretty sure I put the fling disk on the right way round, I took my time double checking everything whilst building it, but it’s not impossible that I could of done something silly like that.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. The screws were countersunk for the thrust plate, the timing cover is a 998 one without the breather. As far I’m aware these don’t need modifying to fit a duplex or am I wrong? Pretty sure I put the fling disk on the right way round, I took my time double checking everything whilst building it, but it’s not impossible that I could of done something silly like that.

have a read http://www.theminifo...for-duplex-use/

#6 Daveontoast

Daveontoast

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:37 PM

Thanks nicklouse, so possibly rubbing the timing cover in the bottom corner. I suppose I have better get it off and have a look.

#7 Daveontoast

Daveontoast

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

Thanks again nicklouse, you were spot. Chain was rubbing against the tiny bulge for the bracket in the corner. Caught it just in time before it wore a hole through the cover. All sorted now with no rattling.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:07 AM

Changed your oil and filter now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users