Photo

Does The Vin Have To Be Visible On A Modern Car?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

I had the windscreen replaced by autoglass on my 2018 L200 on Friday after it cracked, and the replacement screen is a different brand. That in itself doesn't bother me aslong as it's up to standards (which I'm sure it is, with Autoglass being so big), but the cutout at the bottom for the VIN doesn't line up, so it's no longer visible.
Before I ring them for a moan, is this a legal requirement or likely to be an issue when its time for MOT next year?
It's also leased so the finance company may not be too happy when it goes back.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

They need to be able to read it for the MOT. If they can’t you will not get an MOT.

#3 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

They need to be able to read it for the MOT. If they can’t you will not get an MOT.

Thought that might be the case. But wanted to know for sure before ringing them, but Google wasn't much use.
Thanks.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

"Vehicles may have the VIN displayed in more than one location, but only one VIN is required to be complete and legible."

https://www.gov.uk/g...-of-the-vehicle

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

There should be more vin numbers on a modern car. There will be one stamped into the body/chassis somewhere and usually a riveted plate or sticker under the bonnet or in a door shut that shows vin, trim code and paint codes. These will be fine for mot. The screen ones are often obscured by pieces of paper or car park tickets that have disappeared between the dash and the screen never to be retrieved!

#6 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Yeah there are others. I'm not too worried about that.
Just looks a bit dodgy to Police if I get pulled and one that should be there, isn't.
Found some more information about the MOT and don't think it'll be an issue for that.
Also concerned that I don't own it, and if the lease company aren't happy I don't want to be liable for it. I claimed on insurance and surely they should be using genuine parts, or atleast equivalents? This screen obviously isn't right.

Most annoying part is, I had to remove all my racking out the back and roof bars for them to calibrate the lane departure warning system. Don't really want to be doing that again as I put it all back thismorning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users