Photo
- - - - -

Is My Engine Compatible With My Transmission?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1972-850

1972-850

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

Hello, as I mentioned in my introduction post, I am rebuilding a 1972 Morris 850 that has been off the road since 1980. Its engine was seized, so I decided to replace the whole drivetrain instead of rebuilding it because I figured it would be far quicker and cheaper.

I purchased a running used engine that's (allegedly) also out of a 1972 850, but it's on top of a transmission with a remote-type shifter while mine has a wand-type shifter. I'd like to keep the wand; is the engine I bought compatible with my car's original transmission? If so, which parts do I need to take off of the remote-type transmission that I will not be using before bolting it all back together? Bearings, transfer gears, flywheel housing, flywheel, etc. I've done a search on this and nothing came up, and I've also looked through various manuals to no avail. I'm adding images of each engine and transmission below. I can take more if needed.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

-

Original engine:

Attached File  IMG_20200727_152009.jpg   102.18K   1 downloads

85H387.

Original transmission:

Attached File  IMG_20200727_152456.jpg   81.03K   0 downloads

I've not been able to find a parts number on it; I'll report back after I've cleaned it up if needed.

Replacement engine:

Attached File  IMG_20200727_152252_01.jpg   57.24K   0 downloads

85H791P. I was told it came from a 1972 car that was retrofitted with an alternator.

Replacement transmission:

Attached File  IMG_20200727_152123.jpg   99.9K   0 downloads

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

yes you can put your new engine into the old gearbox. you can use any mix you want but keep the transfer case with the same gearbox.

new one is from a 76 on build.

#3 1972-850

1972-850

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

yes you can put your new engine into the old gearbox. you can use any mix you want but keep the transfer case with the same gearbox.

new one is from a 76 on build.

What do you mean by transfer case? Is it what I referred to as the flywheel housing?

Apologies for the potentially stupid question. Like I mentioned, I'm new to the world of Minis; in my mind, a transfer case is what I had on my old Jeep, ha.

Thanks.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:27 PM

get a haynes manual.

the transfer case holds the transfer gears (drop gears)

the flywheel housing (wok) covers the flywheel and joins the transfer case.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

Yep,

All the 3 main gearbox castings were machined as an assembly so that the bores for the bearings align properly. The transfer case is the bit behind the flywheel.

#6 1972-850

1972-850

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:45 PM

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

You can just take the magic wand parts off your old Gearbox and fit them in to your 'new' Gearbox.

Fundamentally, the Gearboxes are the same, it's only a few parts that are different and will swap over with spanners.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

Yep,

All the 3 main gearbox castings were machined as an assembly so that the bores for the bearings align properly. The transfer case is the bit behind the flywheel.

Actually, the Transfer Housings are not matched as sets to any Gearbox;-

QahFL3h.jpg

The Diff Caps are though.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

Happy to stand corrected (I've got a niggling doubt it's not the 1st time, possibly including this subject).

I can see how, as the bits dowel together you could equally dowel them to a jig with as much accuracy. Though, with a production run in the millions, surely there'd be some need for recalibration of the tooling that could mean one casting might not pair as well with another made years later.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed the congruence of idler bearings before - or rather Moke's been gracious enough to share his expert knowledge with botchers like me.

#10 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

That replacement transmission is a rod change isn't it? So not able to swap components to make it magic wand. If it was a remote shift box as mokespider says you could swap a few bits of linkage over to keep the magic wand shift.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:17 PM

That replacement transmission is a rod change isn't it? So not able to swap components to make it magic wand. If it was a remote shift box as mokespider says you could swap a few bits of linkage over to keep the magic wand shift.

Actually, it is a Rod Shift Box, I was just working off the quoted dates, but as Nick mentioned, it's a circa 76 Rod Shift, so I stand corrected that the shifter parts won't swap over as I suggested in my post ^.

Happy to stand corrected (I've got a niggling doubt it's not the 1st time, possibly including this subject).

I can see how, as the bits dowel together you could equally dowel them to a jig with as much accuracy. Though, with a production run in the millions, surely there'd be some need for recalibration of the tooling that could mean one casting might not pair as well with another made years later.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed the congruence of idler bearings before - or rather Moke's been gracious enough to share his expert knowledge with botchers like me.

I think it has been discussed a few times but it's only a few months back that I again uncovered that snippet of factory info.

Yes, in their production runs, they did get out of whack and as I've mentioned a few times, some cases are close, others not so. I'm yet to find a set that is spot on. I guess that had a tolerance they could live with and tried to work within that.

#12 1972-850

1972-850

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:00 AM

It's a rod shift, you're right. I'll keep the original transmission, then, and update this topic with what I ended up changing and keeping when all is said and done. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users