#1 noeman

noeman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

hi all,

Whats the best way to change the rod change detent spring and ball with the engine in situ?

Many thanks

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

Mmmm, I think it'd be possible without even removing the pot joint, but you'd  have a job  getting the end plate to seal.

I'd opt for:

Drain oil,

Pop top ball joint,

Lever out pot joint

Undo cover

Search for detent spring on garage floor

Identify type of gasket used, order replacement

Wait for parcel delivery

The last operation can be skipped by pre-ordering both types of gasket.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

as said the new gasket will be fun. but i would pull the drive shaft and go for it (obvs drain oil first) you may or may not need to do something about the exhaust.

but i have to ask why do think you need to change it?

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

Jack the car well up on the right hand side and put on axle stands and you don't need to drop the oil.

Its a fiddle, but possible, without removing the exhaust.

#5 noeman

noeman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The reason for changing is my 2nd used to crunch and pop out. A friend from my club refurbished my box for me. It longer crunches but still pops out of 2nd gear. He said he's unsure why as he changed all the worn parts and must be something else making it do that.
I've changed engine mounts, stabiliser bushes, cotton reels under gear stick etc to no avail.
After reading a few other posts a few have suggested the rod change detent spring.
Its just a final stab before the hassle of engine out and the box going to a professional like guesswork.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

They usually pop out of gear (and 2nd has the highest hit rate here) from a Worn Selector Fork, which doesn't allow the Hub to got over all the way to it's detents. These are a different Detent to the one under the side cover that you are asking about.

If it pops out of gear a few times, and it doesn't take many, it also rounds off the Dog Teeth on the gear itself and when that happens, even after replacing the Selector Fork (which well let it fully engage gear) it will still continue to pop out, with the only fix being to replace the gear. The Dog Teeth can be checked when it in bits.

So, for now, I'd suggest not driving it (or at least don't let it pop out of gear) until you can (again) strip the box down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users