5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunbeam

Sunbeam

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

I recently watched a utube video where a new engine start was being filmed. The guys ran the engine without coolant fo about twenty seconds to ‘seal ‘ the gasket. Engine was left to cool for a while before coolant was added to continue to run. Is this a normal practice as I haven’t heard of this before.Im building a new 998 engine so I would like your opinions of the best method. Many thanks.

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

The accepted method is to torque the head down with the new gasket, fill with coolant, start the engine and run it through two complete heat & cool cycles.

Then re-torque by backing off each head nut in turn, in the correct order, and re-torque to the stated figure. Re-set the valve clearances, top-up with coolant and run normally.

Others may do it differently, but it has worked for me since 1961.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

Run the engine with no coolant just enough to let the gasket warm slightly then (double check torque of head nuts) then use water to do a full heat cycle the motor, you may get some slight weeping until the gasket fully seals.

Hope this helps

Cal

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

I recently watched a utube video where a new engine start was being filmed. The guys ran the engine without coolant fo about twenty seconds to ‘seal ‘ the gasket. Engine was left to cool for a while before coolant was added to continue to run. Is this a normal practice as I haven’t heard of this before.Im building a new 998 engine so I would like your opinions of the best method. Many thanks.

Thats the bedding in process for the BK450 gasket.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:46 PM

It depends on the Gasket and what the manufacturer of the Gasket recommends.

Some say Dry, some say fill with clean water (no coolant) for a few heat cycles.

Here's ACL's advice;-

(Q14 down towards the bottom of the first sheet here)

WZTU6yh.jpg

P5cCAuM.jpg

#6 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

I was taught this method years ago, but I think it only works on copper gaskets? I've done this a few times and never had a problem.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users