#16 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:50 PM

It’s running.

Why, we’ll I’m not totally sure. Battery full it was still having none of it even with warmed plugs. So I rechecked and cleaned the engine Earth. I also ran through the lumenition tests and they worked out fine. However when I went to static time it I couldn’t get the negative pole on the coil to read 0v at any point. Which was confusing. It seemed to drop no lower than 9v. Added to the fact the strobe light wouldn’t work on cranking I decided we had an issue with the ignition.

As a test I removed the Rev counter (which was a different one to the one prior to rebuild as I wanted a bigger one) and it was the only other thing on the coil probes so was an easy thing to remove from the mix. I also took my van battery and linked it via jump leads to the minis battery as it wasn’t full as I’d been cranking it over a bit.

And it started straight up on the button and sounded well. I think I’ve wired something wrong around the Rev counter and coil as the elec field didn’t appear to be collapsing as if it was getting 12v back to it via the Rev counter?

I’ll check more tomorrow, I only wanted to get it started so that I could warm it through with no coolant for a minute to set the head gasket.

Edited by 28hodge, 30 July 2020 - 09:51 PM.

#17 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Good stuff!

#18 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members