#1 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Morning all,

My first post. I haven't owned a Mini since my racing days. Apologies if it's in the wrong section. 

i have bought a mini engine, without the car it came from. I want to strip and rebuild it so I can increase my knowledge of how they go together to help with future projects.

It would be useful to know what size it is, what year Mini it came from, what model etc.

Can this be done from the engine number? Will the DVLA be helpful perhaps or is there a better way you know of?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks muchly.

Steve

#2 fokko

fokko

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

The engine should have an identification number plate just below the thermostat. Use this page to determine capacity and other specs: https://www.minimani...on_Data_UPDATED

If this doesn't help, then please post a picture of your engine.

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Or enter the engine number in here

http://www.guess-wor...Tech/engine.htm

#4 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

Thanks fokko My engine number is 99ha94p 10054. The link you provided says: 99H/A97P A+ block with dished pistons, pre-A+ gears, 3.44 final drive & 12-inch wheels. So I guess that must be the one making it a 997cc. What year would that be?
I tried that site panky but couldn’t get it to accept the info. I’ll try again.

#5 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

Panky I managed to get some useful information from that site now so thanks.
Cheers all

#6 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

Thanks fokko My engine number is 99ha94p 10054. The link you provided says: 99H/A97P A+ block with dished pistons, pre-A+ gears, 3.44 final drive & 12-inch wheels. So I guess that must be the one making it a 997cc. What year would that be?
I tried that site panky but couldn’t get it to accept the info. I’ll try again.

A94P comes up as an automatic but you also quote A97P. Which is it?

#7 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

Yes it’s a 94P but I couldn’t see that listed in Fokko’s link. The seller did say it was from an auto. Still not sure how to identify the year of the car. Pinky’s link says engine is of 1985 spec (or something like that) but that’s not the year of manufacture I’m guessing?

#8 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

From John Guess's website. 998 A+ auto with 3.27 FD.

http://classicminige...Tech/engine.htm

#9 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

Yes I get that too now. It refers to the year 1985. That’s probably as close as I need to get re manufacture date

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

You may know this, but apparently you can't just swap an auto box for a manual on the A series, if thats what you were intending.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

As said above some work is needed to convert an Auto engine to fit on a manual gearbox, see links below.

It used to be not worth doing this conversion but as the supply of manual Mini blocks declines it has become more common and worthwhile for the effort involved.

How to Convert a BMC A-Series Cylinder Block From Automatic to Manual:-
http://www.home.eart...1/convert1.html

To fit a 1275 auto block to a manual, apart from drilling the dipstick hole, there are a few mods needed to oil plumbing:
1. Auto block doesn't have the drilling all the way from the oil pump to the relief valve.
2. Auto block has 2 holes in the relief valve seat `cotton reel' to let oil get into the main gallery, because the normal filter flange is blocked off with a plate- the motor's lube oil comes UP the banjo pipe from the auto trans to the motor.
3. Auto block pump mounting recess is .250" deeper than in a normal 1275 block.
AusMini Link:-
http://www.ausmini.c...hp?f=25&t=90470

According to one of the Mini magazines a lot of auto Mini blocks are also being converted in Japan where many of the Rover Minis sold were automatics.

Edited by mab01uk, 31 July 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#12 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for that, great information! I really appreciate the help I’m getting here. My plan wasn’t to use the engine in a manual car. I did know there are some differences although I didn’t know what they all were. In fact I have no intention of using it in any car. My only intention is to strip it and rebuild it purely to learn all I can about this version of the mini engine. I’ll probably just sell it when it’s done because I won’t need it. I wanted to know which model it came from so I know which one I’ve learnt a bit about! I’ve rebuilt a few old cars but not a mini. And I’ve never rebuilt an engine so it’s a steep learning curve that’ll be useful for my next project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users