#31 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:51 AM

If you have a budget of £4-£5k have the best of both worlds

My daughters 61 plate C1 with fish and 70k on the clock was £2k it is a VTI so has electrics windows, heater that works, £20 to tax and does about 55 mpg

This would leave you with £2-3k to buy a mini it will need work at this price but you could buy one at £4-5k and still be working on it

Long as you have a decent garage and are in no rush

Winner winner chicken dinner

#32 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

apart from the crippling insurance of insuring two cars as a new driver!

#33 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:26 AM

I still think the main problem is that they're unsafe on busy modern motorways when conditions are bad.

#34 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

Lots of things are dangerous in life.Do you fly?Steve..

#35 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:46 AM

Lots of things are dangerous in life.Do you fly?Steve..

Of course.. It's all to do with calculating the risk vs the gain. No gain at all hammering round the M25 in the pissing rain everyday in an old mini.

Edited by johnv, 04 August 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#36 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

No gain at all hammering round the M25 in the pissing rain everyday in an old mini.

Smiles per mile?

Or is it nervous laughter...

#37 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

First gen BMW MINIs are terrible, as they are all 10 years plus now, buy something Japanese like a Toyota, and get a classic mini later on with a few miles under your belt.

“ first gen bmw minis are terrible as they are all ten years plus now”-
What on earth difference does that make?
I actually own a low mileage 2005 R53 Cooper S,yes it’s a little bit modified,but it is a brilliant little car-only vehicle I have at the moment,although it isn’t used for commuting,but it does everything I need including shopping for the family.its one of the most fun cars I have ever owned despite being 15 years old-I’m surprised you didn’t call the first gen bmw minis a Bini ffs.
And I have owned at least ten classic minis,and I’m seriously considering another- this is the first time in my life since I was 16 years old that I haven’t owned a classic mini-(I’m nearly 50 now) I really do love them,best car ever as far as I am concerned but as a first car ,a bmw mini would be a much better bet than a classic-although I’m sure a supercharged one may be too expensive for the OP to insure.
There are a lot of armchair experts that simply dismiss the first gen BMW minis -I can’t agree with that.

Edited by and90cooper, 04 August 2020 - 04:50 PM.

#38 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

First gen BMW minis are too unreliable, my classic minis have been more reliable than BMW minis.... Ive worked on more BMW minis than classic minis, albeit small jobs compared to full restorations BUT most were cooling system failure, power steering failure and major mechanical failure. Utter junk imo, the classic handles considerably better for the power to weight....

I've driven both classic and modern minis , worked on both and I stand by the above.

Edited by cal844, 04 August 2020 - 04:58 PM.

#39 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

First gen BMW MINIs are terrible, as they are all 10 years plus now, buy something Japanese like a Toyota, and get a classic mini later on with a few miles under your belt.

I actually own a low mileage 2005 R53 Cooper S,yes it’s a little bit modified,but it is a brilliant little car-only vehicle I have at the moment,although it isn’t used for commuting,but it does everything I need including shopping for the family.its one of the most fun cars I have ever owned despite being 15 years old-I’m surprised you didn’t call the first gen bmw minis a Bini ffs.
And I have owned at least ten classic minis,and I’m seriously considering another- this is the first time in my life since I was 16 years old that I haven’t owned a classic mini-(I’m nearly 50 now) I really do love them,best car ever as far as I am concerned but as a first car ,a bmw mini would be a much better bet than a classic-although I’m sure a supercharged one may be too expensive for the OP to insure.
There are a lot of armchair experts that simply dismiss the first gen BMW minis -I can’t agree with that.

Totally agree, I have a 2002 R50 MINI and it has been one of the most reliable and fun to drive cars I have owned and with a keen enthusiast following, no rust either and now cheap to buy but like all modern cars you need to research common failure points and ensure you buy a well maintained and cared for example. Most problems are caused by owner neglect due to long 2 year service intervals with no basic interim underbonnet checks being carried out. The R53 Cooper S is already moving into classic car status but not ideal as a first car due to the supercharger meaning high tax, high insurance for a young driver and high fuel consumption......but again great fun to drive.

Edited by mab01uk, 04 August 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#40 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

Yep a BINI, that's it!

Well you have been lucky, and I am far from an armchair expert, I know so many people that have bought BINIs as cheap runarounds and have massive bills for electrics, engine management, you name it, it seems to break on those early ones. I understand the later ones are better. In fact those first ones are fast approaching 20 years old.

Each to their own, but my is point is that they are a Mini in name only, and you can get a lot better value for money plus reliability going elsewhere.

Rachel from Darlington didn't like hers!

https://www.mirror.c...crement-7988255

Edited by beardylondon, 04 August 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#41 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Yep a BINI, that's it!

Well you have been lucky, and I am far from an armchair expert, I know so many people that have bought BINIs as cheap runarounds and have massive bills for electrics, engine management, you name it, it seems to break on those early ones. I understand the later ones are better. In fact those first ones are fast approaching 20 years old.

Each to their own, but my is point is that they are a Mini in name only, and you can get a lot better value for money plus reliability going elsewhere.

You say you know loads of people that have bought “cheap” ones- How many have you owned?
Like I said about armchair experts...
I actually own one,so I speak from actual experience.my car is shade under 200 bhp,and has been utterly reliable.its noisy ,fast,handles like its on rails thanks to ditching the run flats and fitting coilovers.
Have you ever driven a well sorted R53?
I suppose not .

#42 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Yep a BINI, that's it!

You say you know loads of people that have bought “cheap” ones- How many have you owned?

I actually own one,so I speak from actual experience.my car is shade under 200 bhp,and has been utterly reliable.its noisy ,fast,handles like its on rails thanks to ditching the run flats and fitting coilovers.
Have you ever driven a well sorted R53?
I suppose not .
We will have to agree to disagree lol

Edited by and90cooper, 04 August 2020 - 06:05 PM.

#43 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

I have driven many BINIs over the years. Most memorable was the 2003 Cooper S, when it was brand new, went like a rocket, loved it. In fact I loved it so much, few years later I went a bought a Mk5 Golf GTI, and never looked back! :-)

Edited by beardylondon, 04 August 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#44 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

I had a guy telling me a modern mini handles better than a classic.... Yeah right you better strap in and shut up, classic minis are more reliable, handle better and are a better drive than a car with no soul...

#45 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

I had a guy telling me a modern mini handles better than a classic.... Yeah right you better strap in and shut up, classic minis are more reliable, handle better and are a better drive than a car with no soul...

More reliable?
So a classic would be a a good first car for the OP then.
A car with no soul?really? What modern car has enough “soul” for you then?
I have owned some very quick classic minis,my last one was dynoed at 123bhp and had the running gear to suit.I think I know a thing or two about how well they handle
I’m not some modern mini evangelist trying to say the bmw ones are better than the classics-far from it-look at my profile pic
Like I said-unless you’ve had a drive in a well sorted R53 with some decent mods don’t dismiss them as a decent drivers car.

Edited by and90cooper, 04 August 2020 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users