61 replies to this topic

#46 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

I have driven many BINIs over the years. Most memorable was the 2003 Cooper S, when it was brand new, went like a rocket, loved it. In fact I loved it so much, few years later I went a bought a Mk5 Golf GTI, and never looked back! :-)

So no you haven’t driven a well sorted R53-a brand new one doesn’t count lol
Coilovers are a must-as is a smaller supercharger pulley and some decent tyres!!
Those run flats are terrible.and who doesn’t like a supercharger -sounds superb!!?

Edited by and90cooper, 04 August 2020 - 07:28 PM.

#47 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:36 PM

I had a guy telling me a modern mini handles better than a classic.... Yeah right you better strap in and shut up, classic minis are more reliable, handle better and are a better drive than a car with no soul...

More reliable?
So a classic would be a a good first car for the OP then.
A car with no soul?really? What modern car has enough “soul” for you then?
Are you telling me I “better strap in and shut up”?
Don’t patronise me-I have owned some very quick classic minis,my last one was dynoed at 123bhp and had the running gear to suit.I think I know a thing or two about how well they handle
I’m not some modern mini evangelist trying to say the bmw ones are better than the classics-far from it-look at my profile pic
Like I said-unless you’ve had a drive in a well sorted R53 with some decent mods don’t dismiss them as a decent drivers car.

It would be better than a BMW mini.

I didn't patronise you, simply a quote. I apologise for the upset, it wasn't meant!

I've driven cars with alot more power than a BMW mini, yes they need modifications and upgrades to be reliable but they'll never have the character of the Classics, even when considered as a classic themselves.

#48 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

I had a guy telling me a modern mini handles better than a classic.... Yeah right you better strap in and shut up, classic minis are more reliable, handle better and are a better drive than a car with no soul...

More reliable?
So a classic would be a a good first car for the OP then.
A car with no soul?really? What modern car has enough “soul” for you then?
Are you telling me I “better strap in and shut up”?
Don’t patronise me-I have owned some very quick classic minis,my last one was dynoed at 123bhp and had the running gear to suit.I think I know a thing or two about how well they handle
I’m not some modern mini evangelist trying to say the bmw ones are better than the classics-far from it-look at my profile pic
Like I said-unless you’ve had a drive in a well sorted R53 with some decent mods don’t dismiss them as a decent drivers car.
It would be better than a BMW mini.

I didn't patronise you, simply a quote. I apologise for the upset, it wasn't meant!

I've driven cars with alot more power than a BMW mini, yes they need modifications and upgrades to be reliable but they'll never have the character of the Classics, even when considered as a classic themselves.
Sorry,I realised you weren’t directing the comments at me ,and I edited my post.
As much as I love the classics,I would not like to drive to work in one in the middle of winter,or having to go on a motorway in one every day-I did this for many years and wouldn’t want to do it again lol?
I do feel that I need another classic in my life-They really are a big part of me,I’d like a very nice big power Mk1 or mk2,but every car I see that interests me seems to be a bloody logbook reshell-ie a ringer.

Edited by and90cooper, 04 August 2020 - 08:00 PM.

#49 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

The problem I have with absolute's like 'better' is it fails to acknowledge the context. From this thread, what people are saying is sure the classic mini is great fun & everyone here will say is the 'best' but for everyday use in 2020 a modern car is 'better'. As someone who owns the R53 GP and R56 GP as well as a barn full of classic minis, I'll disagree that they don't have a soul. So strong do I disagree, I ended up selling my M2 (small loss) because it did not make me 'feel' the way the GPs do; a car that on paper was 'better' then all of them.

Any modern car is going to have more sophisticated electronics, that's a reality of 21st century living. The days I could work on cars without a laptop are long gone. Just think what EV's are going to do, in another 30 years the kids today will be reminiscing over the internal combustion engine lol

As for the reliability, really it's all the same thing right? In the '90's I owned a 20 year old car and spent my weekend fixing it so I could go to work. I could go to any parts store and buy bits off the shelf or dig through the scrap yards on a Saturday. 30 years later, I can still own a 20 year old car and spend the weekend fixing it. That for me is the centre of OPs decision. Just about any old 'new' car is going to need fixing, that's the point. That's how most of us get into cars. 

#50 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

All excellent opinions!

But this is a classic Mini forum, just saying.... :-)

#51 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:06 PM

The problem I have with absolute's like 'better' is it fails to acknowledge the context. From this thread, what people are saying is sure the classic mini is great fun & everyone here will say is the 'best' but for everyday use in 2020 a modern car is 'better'. As someone who owns the R53 GP and R56 GP as well as a barn full of classic minis, I'll disagree that they don't have a soul. So strong do I disagree, I ended up selling my M2 (small loss) because it did not make me 'feel' the way the GPs do; a car that on paper was 'better' then all of them.

Any modern car is going to have more sophisticated electronics, that's a reality of 21st century living. The days I could work on cars without a laptop are long gone. Just think what EV's are going to do, in another 30 years the kids today will be reminiscing over the internal combustion engine lol

As for the reliability, really it's all the same thing right? In the '90's I owned a 20 year old car and spent my weekend fixing it so I could go to work. I could go to any parts store and buy bits off the shelf or dig through the scrap yards on a Saturday. 30 years later, I can still own a 20 year old car and spend the weekend fixing it. That for me is the centre of OPs decision. Just about any old 'new' car is going to need fixing, that's the point. That's how most of us get into cars.

Well said.
I would love a GP1-but the lack of rear seats was a no no for me-I have to squeeze the occasional passenger in the back of mine!!

#52 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

Mind if I post this on r/gatekeeping

#53 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:22 PM

Had a classic at 17, daily driven an MPi for two years doing 70 miles a day at the age of 19.

Would I do it again, in 2020? Without a doubt. You live once, enjoy your passion.

#54 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:29 PM

All excellent opinions!

I prefer to think of it as a forum for classic mini enthusiasts...

#55 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:35 PM

Had a classic at 17, daily driven an MPi for two years doing 70 miles a day at the age of 19.

Would I do it again, in 2020? Without a doubt. You live once, enjoy your passion.

The simplest repair weekend for me was when I filled up with petrol after work, the car spluttered and died, I got towed home and ended up having to strip and clean the carb, then replace all the fuel hose and add a fuel filter...

Foolish me had let the fuel get too low in the tank. Lesson learnt very quickly and made work on the Monday ?

Then the worst was clutch failure on the way home from work a few weeks later... The engine was out 3 times in a week ?? piss poor parts... Etc haha

But yes classics are great fun, grease the nipples every 1000 miles religiously and change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and you'll be OK... I used to change the Comma classic oil in mine at 5000 miles and didn't have issues BUT that's not to say that any one else will not so 3000 miles between changes.....

A modern car will have better heating and demisting capabilities but will need a computer to diagnose faults, not cheap like the mini.

Hope this helps amongst the other opinions

Cal

#56 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:06 PM

You must be the gatekeeper of gatekeepers I've been reading about.

Mind if I post this on r/gatekeeping

#57 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

I've been thinking a little further on the subject. We own three classics - '86 mini / mr2 mk2 / Mazda Eunos.

If I was the OP I'd choose the Eunos. Reliable, fun, easy to live with and cheap to buy and run. Find a solid one and mod it as much as budget allows.

Really can't go far wrong with these great little cars. Plenty of character and can be personalised as much as you like.

Edited by ads7, 05 August 2020 - 08:55 PM.

#58 DEXISWOLF

DEXISWOLF

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Steel City Classics

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:04 PM

I had a mini as my 1st car (still own it 12 years later i learned everything on that im 24 now) a mini as my 2nd car a 72 beetle as my 3rd then another mini as my 4th then i finally got trade insurance and drove modern stuff and absolutely hate them and cant stand driving anything modern, i since had mgbs mk1 cavalier mk1 micra and more minis and now a 1987 lotus excel and id trust them anyday to get me to where i need to go , in all that time i had on mini the rear trumpet collapsed so couldn't finish my journey and another mini blow the gearbox down devon and thats about it everything else i fixed at the road, the only "modern i own myself and enjoy is a 1999 vauxhall frontera because its a old 4x4 and i like it :)

Edited by DEXISWOLF, 07 August 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#59 DEXISWOLF

DEXISWOLF

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Steel City Classics

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:06 PM

Sorry to go on but evertime ive had to drive a newer car long distance i get a really bad head ache through the lack of not having to concentrate to drive

#60 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Remember the first line of the OP's original post "I'm interested in buying a classic mini (Morris or austin) as my first car but have no experience in fixing cars".

I had a Mini as my only car in the 1960's and it was not a problem. However, when I had a problem I could usually go into my garage in the evening and have it running to drive to work the next day. If that was not possible i could use public transport or get a lift with a friend, pick up the part(s) needed the next day fom a BMC dealer and fix it that evening. Even a clutch change or cylinder head off to fix a burnt-out ex. valve was not a problem for one evening's work. I always kept some spares such as a head gasket, a couple of valves, a clutch plate, manifold gasket, exhaust hangers, spark plugs, set of points, fuel pipe, CV joint, etc., etc. 

If I had not been able to do this myself, I should have had to pay a repair shop and wait until it was done (maybe a week or so) and in the meantime be transport-less. Then my future wife got a Mini Van, so we had two Minis to choose from and at least one was usually going OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users