#1 JeremyduP

JeremyduP

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Has anyone else had problems with the new Minispares Lucas (in name only) starter solenoids?

In the last year two have failed for no reason at all and under the same identical circumstances. Been for a long drive, after which I drove into the garage and switched off. Car left for about a week. Went to start it. Nothing. Opened bonnet and pressed the button. Nothing. Put a screwdriver across the terminals and hey presto, the engine turned and I could start the engine. Another useless new part.

It’s ridiculous how bad the quality of new parts is. I’ve also had problems with SU fuel pumps that only last a year.

Any thoughts?

#2 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

The push button solenoids are notoriously unreliable.When mine failed after about two years I asked for thoughts on the Mk1 forum, and people were amazed it had lasted more than two months.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

I still have the one I had on my road car back in the 80 in the race car. Not push button.

#4 JeremyduP

JeremyduP

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

I had a push button solenoid on my 1967 Cooper S bought in 1968. That same solenoid was still working when I sold the car in 1991. Genuine made in England Lucas where quality control was paramount. Not the foreign Lucas rubbish produced now.

#5 JeremyduP

JeremyduP

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

Took it off today.  You can hear the plunger knocking back and forth if  you shake it.

#6 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

I bought a new one for my '68 Cooper because it was clean and shiny like the engine. It failed within 100 miles and I put the original 1968 one back on.. It's been fine for two years now..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users