#1 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:19 AM

Morning everyone,

I bought this lovely Jag E type hazard warning switch for a very good price and wanted to add it to my mini instead of the rocker type hazard switch found on the dash. I'm doing a bit of a early mk rally dash look so out with the rockers and in with the Lucas toggles!

Attached is a picture of the Jag switch and terminals. 

Whilst I understand (I hope!) that both switches have terminals to match such as the right indicators (Green with white) and left indicators (Green with red), I'd love some help on how to wire in this switch. 

Note: The E type switch end terminals are different colours to the terminals connected to the switch/bulb and relay as there seems to be an original braided tape half way up the wires.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:44 PM

It looks doable & shouldn't be too complicated:

The Mini switch connects the bottom 2 terminals in the off position, which are used to connect the indicator stalk to the flasher unit

When you turn the hazards on they (light green/brown) are disconnected and the other 4 terminals are all connected together. The important bit is that the other 4 are all isolated from each other when the hazards are off, otherwise the L&R indicators would be connected (green/red & green/white.

It looks like there's an empty terminal on the Jag switch, but that will equate to the mini one with short wire & spade, which just powers the internal bulb in the switch. It looks like the Jag warning light might be connected directly to the flasher unit on the panel. The black wires on both will be earths for the warning lamp.

The puzzler is where the green purple on the Jag goes, that'll be the supply to the flasher. Of course your Mini will already have a hazard flasher in the line to the corresponding wire.

#3 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:29 PM

Hi Ethel,

That sounds great and thank you for explaining it so well to someone who isn't overly au fait with wiring (as you may have noticed from the wording of my question!). I'll let you know how it goes this week and post a solution to this problem.

Many thanks

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

It appears that the flasher unit only flashes the red warning light so the system needs the indicator flasher to flash both indicators and hazard lights. The mini indicator flasher will not do that unless you replace it with an electronic unit or find out what flasher was in the jag. There is no permanent positive feed wire so the ignition has to be on for the hazards to work.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'm curious to see what's supplying the  Jag flasher. Do you have a meter to do some continuity testing?

Does the switch connect the terminals in groups of 2 &4, or 2 groups of 3?

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

It appears that the flasher unit only flashes the red warning light so the system needs the indicator flasher to flash both indicators and hazard lights. The mini indicator flasher will not do that unless you replace it with an electronic unit or find out what flasher was in the jag. There is no permanent positive feed wire so the ignition has to be on for the hazards to work.

I'm wondering if the light & switch supply are in parallel off the flasher, that should work, provided the light doesn't flow enough current to operate the flasher.

Agree on the 2nd bit. If the light is in parallel it'd be a permanently closed circuit via the flasher, so the purple/green might be spliced off the indicator circuit making it ignition dependent - taking the solid greens as a clue. Note the black bands on the ends of one green & one on the Mini's loom.

#7 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

I've attached a wiring diagram for a Series 1 E-type, which shows how the USA hazard switch is wired. Look at the lower right hand corner of the diagram.

It appears that your switch is missing a wire on the plug connecting to the flasher unit ("Signal-Stat 180.") There should also be a large brown wire with an inline fuse holder. On the Jaguar, this runs to one of the power taps on the fuse block. The light green and purple wire only powers the hazard light. 

Dave

(edited to change the diagram to a cropped version, since the original was unreadable after the board shrank the image to cut down on the size.)

Attached Files

Edited by bluedragon, 04 August 2020 - 07:10 AM.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

Seems like the switch is 3 to 3 then. The wire is in the right place on the switch, but it's not clear if it runs to the flasher unit.

Assuming it all works then the simplest would be to connect the Mini's green purple to fused terminal in Bluedragon's photo, no need to add the fuse, but you will need to remove the Mini's hazard flasher & bridge the terminals on the loom.

You'd need a relay to make the 4th switch terminal for the warning lamp in order to use the Mini flasher.

#9 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:39 PM

I agree , bridge out the mini hazard flasher and connect the green/purple to the spare terminal on your new flasher.

#10 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

Aha! I have just found the brown wire with inline fuse! Thanks for all this guys, super helpful. I'm onto this problem tomorrow so I'll let you all know and send some pics/diagrams when its all done/any problems!

Thanks Oli

#11 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:43 PM

Hello again,

Sorry for the slow progress, other things came up! 

Today I got the Jag hazard switch connected to the Mini loom and the warming light light up on the toggle switch and allowed the indicators to work off the stalk now the circuit is connected which I was happy with. 

However, the Jag switch isn't turning the hazard indicators on... 

I forgot that the mini came with a pair of electronic flasher units (see pictures). I tried to bridge the two flasher units individually by just connecting the two connectors together (hope this is what you meant by 'bridging', again, I'm a novice at wiring haha!) This didn't work unfortunately, but I'm sure running the jag switches flasher unit along with the two mini flasher units is the problem like you have all said and helped with so far.

To help, here is the wiring I have done so far. 

Jag Switch       -           Mini

Flasher unit        

Brown (inline fuse)   -     Light Green/faint purple (can also see this on the one of the electronic flasher units if that helps?)

Toggle switch (working from top to bottom of terminals)

Green                       -     Light green/brown

Green (black tag)     -     Light green brown (black tag)

Green/light green (onto the spare terminal to power jag bulb connected to Jags light green/purple for bulb)

Green/white             -     Green/white

Light green/brown    -     Light green/brown on Jags flasher

Green/red                 -     Green/red

Bulb

Black                       -      Black

Light green/purple   - Jags flasher unit.

This picture shows the electronic flasher units on the mini. The bottom flasher shows the light green/faint purple that is connected to the brown fused on the Jag switch. The top flasher seems to have the light green/brown and two green wires with yellow insulated connector that I can also see is on my fuse box (top fuse) that connects to two whites wire with yellow insulated connector which seems to be from the negative side of the coil if that helps? What do I need to do to these flasher units to make the Jag switch work fully and connect the hazards to flash?

Also, I realised the indicators on the stalk don't work when the Jags hazard switch is 'on' with the bulb illuminated of that helps troubleshoot anything? 

Hope this is enough info to help, tried to make it as reader friendly as possible. Thank you for all your help.

Attached Files

#12 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:48 PM

Second pic

Edited by proccy13, 31 August 2020 - 08:49 PM.

#13 proccy13

proccy13

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:52 PM

Second pic 

I've attached a wiring diagram for a Series 1 E-type, which shows how the USA hazard switch is wired. Look at the lower right hand corner of the diagram.

It appears that your switch is missing a wire on the plug connecting to the flasher unit ("Signal-Stat 180.") There should also be a large brown wire with an inline fuse holder. On the Jaguar, this runs to one of the power taps on the fuse block. The light green and purple wire only powers the hazard light. 

Dave

(edited to change the diagram to a cropped version, since the original was unreadable after the board shrank the image to cut down on the size.)

Seems like the switch is 3 to 3 then. The wire is in the right place on the switch, but it's not clear if it runs to the flasher unit.

Assuming it all works then the simplest would be to connect the Mini's green purple to fused terminal in Bluedragon's photo, no need to add the fuse, but you will need to remove the Mini's hazard flasher & bridge the terminals on the loom.

You'd need a relay to make the 4th switch terminal for the warning lamp in order to use the Mini flasher.

I agree , bridge out the mini hazard flasher and connect the green/purple to the spare terminal on your new flasher.

Attached Files

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

That's not the original fuse box. Blade fuses are rated with the continuous current, the Lucas glass fuses are marked with the failure rating which is typically double, but there aren't equivalents for all of them. The original box also has 2 blades  on each side of each fuse.

The brackets for the flashers are intended to take them end on, hence the curve. I'd guess the 3 pin flasher is for the hazards, but I can't guess the pinouts - any other markings on it? The 3rd pin could be for a telltale, the same as the Jag's, or it could be an earth.

The indicators should stop with the hazards on, you just won't notice if the hazards are working.

Were the indicators & hazards working on the Mini before & were both flashers wired as shown in the photos?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users