#1 proccy13

proccy13

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Morning everyone,

I bought this lovely Jag E type hazard warning switch for a very good price and wanted to add it to my mini instead of the rocker type hazard switch found on the dash. I'm doing a bit of a early mk rally dash look so out with the rockers and in with the Lucas toggles!

Attached is a picture of the Jag switch and terminals. 

Whilst I understand (I hope!) that both switches have terminals to match such as the right indicators (Green with white) and left indicators (Green with red), I'd love some help on how to wire in this switch. 

Note: The E type switch end terminals are different colours to the terminals connected to the switch/bulb and relay as there seems to be an original braided tape half way up the wires.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,480 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

It looks doable & shouldn't be too complicated:

The Mini switch connects the bottom 2 terminals in the off position, which are used to connect the indicator stalk to the flasher unit

When you turn the hazards on they (light green/brown) are disconnected and the other 4 terminals are all connected together. The important bit is that the other 4 are all isolated from each other when the hazards are off, otherwise the L&R indicators would be connected (green/red & green/white.

It looks like there's an empty terminal on the Jag switch, but that will equate to the mini one with short wire & spade, which just powers the internal bulb in the switch. It looks like the Jag warning light might be connected directly to the flasher unit on the panel. The black wires on both will be earths for the warning lamp.

The puzzler is where the green purple on the Jag goes, that'll be the supply to the flasher. Of course your Mini will already have a hazard flasher in the line to the corresponding wire.

#3 proccy13

proccy13

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Hi Ethel,

That sounds great and thank you for explaining it so well to someone who isn't overly au fait with wiring (as you may have noticed from the wording of my question!). I'll let you know how it goes this week and post a solution to this problem.

Many thanks

#4 viz139

viz139

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted Today, 10:27 AM

It appears that the flasher unit only flashes the red warning light so the system needs the indicator flasher to flash both indicators and hazard lights. The mini indicator flasher will not do that unless you replace it with an electronic unit or find out what flasher was in the jag. There is no permanent positive feed wire so the ignition has to be on for the hazards to work.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 23,480 posts

Posted Today, 10:30 AM

I'm curious to see what's supplying the  Jag flasher. Do you have a meter to do some continuity testing?

Does the switch connect the terminals in groups of 2 &4, or 2 groups of 3?

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 23,480 posts

Posted Today, 10:45 AM

It appears that the flasher unit only flashes the red warning light so the system needs the indicator flasher to flash both indicators and hazard lights. The mini indicator flasher will not do that unless you replace it with an electronic unit or find out what flasher was in the jag. There is no permanent positive feed wire so the ignition has to be on for the hazards to work.

I'm wondering if the light & switch supply are in parallel off the flasher, that should work, provided the light doesn't flow enough current to operate the flasher.

Agree on the 2nd bit. If the light is in parallel it'd be a permanently closed circuit via the flasher, so the purple/green might be spliced off the indicator circuit making it ignition dependent - taking the solid greens as a clue. Note the black bands on the ends of one green & one on the Mini's loom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares