2 replies to this topic

#1 Tweedgreymk1

Tweedgreymk1

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:24 PM

Hi all I'm having some idle issues on my mini, IL give a brief description of the mini first it is a 1997 Japanese import 1275 auto SPI which has been converted to manual , the only thing I have replaced is the entire gearbox block and head for mpi unit with low mileage that I already had
Running all original ancillaries from the jap spec car.
The problem, the mini runs off the key no problems starting it's the idle when I start it up from cold it seems to be normal until it gets up to temperature once up to temp the revs drop to almost 1 or 200 revs almost ready to stall and other times it slowly creeps up to 1500-2000 revs and stays there if I turn the car off then back on its the same it's either 200 revs or 2000 revs no inbetween and seems to be random I have photos of what a diagnostic tool is showing but it doesn't mean much to me I was wondering if anyone ever had similar issues or can see any problems with the data or is it something to do with using an MPI engine for spi car I'm at a loss .
Others things that are weird abouy the car is it has a side mount rad like an SPI but has MPI style coil pack no dizzy like a UK SPI this was also how it was on the original jap auto engine thanks taking the time to read and appreciate any help as far as my knowledge goes I'm at a loss now thanks

#2 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

Someone will no doubt be able to help with the running issue, but the late Japanese spec was an odd mix of SPI and MPI bits, so in answer to your last question this sounds right.

#3 Squipper

Squipper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

Hi

I have a 99, JDM SPI Mini, I also had slight running probs, revs high and then low, pulsing.  Found out it was one of my Vacuum pipes, once changed it now runs lovely. If you need any info on JDM Mini, please ask or check Face Book pages - JDM Classic Mini Owners Club, lots of good info,

Fluf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users