21 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

Hi chaps just bought 2x of these from Minispares KPU100160 and the thick large washer it recommends, I can’t sus out where the larger washer goes, it won’t fit subframe side at the back but does fit in the actual front panel hole itself is this right, maybe someone has a picture of one fitted for reference
Thanks appreciate it

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:36 PM

the tow eye is just used as the bolt was. Would not use that washer anywhere other than rear subframe mounts or tie bars.

#3 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:55 PM

the tow eye is just used as the bolt was. Would not use that washer anywhere other than rear subframe mounts or tie bars.

So basically the toe eye just goes through the front panel and bolts from the back with a small washer and spring washer All from the back so subframe side ?

#4 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:55 PM

So basically the toe eye just goes through the front panel and bolts from the back with a small washer and spring washer All from the back so subframe side ?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:55 PM

yep it holds the front mount to the subframe. if you pulled on the front panel you could guess what would happen if the rubber mount went.

#6 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:08 PM

yep it holds the front mount to the subframe. if you pulled on the front panel you could guess what would happen if the rubber mount went.

Brilliant thanks for that appreciate it ??

#7 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Looks to me as though the washers all stack up at the back of the subframe to spread the load whilst towing. Will find out when I start to rebuild my Elf.

http://www.minispare...e.aspx?3~21~206

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

Will not fit on the back of the subframe mount. 

cant see why is it shown.

#9 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

Ok so I’ve messaged Minispares as this is where I’ve bought it all from and this is my reply :-

Hi Lee
The washer goes between the towing eye and the front panel. Inside the hole under the bumper.
Gary

That’s direct from Minispares ?‍♂️

#10 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

Will not fit on the back of the subframe mount.

cant see why is it shown.

This is correct it will not fit at the back of the subframe it’s too big!!!

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

so MiniSpares are saying it should fit inside the front pear drop and it will not?

#12 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

so MiniSpares are saying it should fit inside the front pear drop and it will not?

It does actually fit where they say inside the hole on the front panel so basically from the front goes toe eye then large washer then from the back bolt, small washer and spring washer so the large washer is in the actual front panel hole, I’ve actually been up today and that does seem to work ok If I’m honest ? Not sure if it’s right or not ?

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

But what is the big washer sitting on?  

if it sits on the front panel it ain’t right.

if if sits on the front mount it ain’t right.

there is no way that washer would fit inside the front mount so you end up just making a rubber sandwich which is just wrong as you are not able to tighten the bolts correctly.

not to mention the front mount Would no longer Work as designed.

#14 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

Hi chaps just bought 2x of these from Minispares KPU100160 and the thick large washer it recommends, I can’t sus out where the larger washer goes, it won’t fit subframe side at the back but does fit in the actual front panel hole itself is this right, maybe someone has a picture of one fitted for reference
Thanks appreciate it

On my old 80 1275gt it went towing eye, large washer outside, then the bolt, washer and spring washer inside just replacing what was there, With the addition of the eye and big washer. It was towed on numerous occasions never a problem and never bent anything out of shape.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

Thanks appreciate it

On my old 80 1275gt it went towing eye, large washer outside, then the bolt, washer and spring washer inside just replacing what was there, With the addition of the eye and big washer. It was towed on numerous occasions never a problem and never bent anything out of shape.

my old Special had towing eyes as do most Europe spec cars but they only bolt as per the original fixings. that is to say no squashing of mounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users