Photo
- - - - -

Rod Change Selector Collar

Best Answer GraemeC , 06 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

Yes - between yoke and the front of the housing. There isn't one at the rear of the yoke.

It was a later addition (earlier cars didn't have them).  Its not entirely clear what it is for, but I suspect it is an attempt to stop excessive wear on the selectors in the gearbox when people drive with a hand resting on the gear stick.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding the Rod Change Selector from my '91 Cooper, and when I disassembled the unit, this nylon Collar came out.

I think it was on the Selector rod, inside the housing between the Rod Bush and the Yoke. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Also, should there be one on the support rod at the rear of the housing?

Gear-Selector-Collar.jpg

Cheers!

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:59 AM   Best Answer

Yes - between yoke and the front of the housing. There isn't one at the rear of the yoke.

It was a later addition (earlier cars didn't have them).  Its not entirely clear what it is for, but I suspect it is an attempt to stop excessive wear on the selectors in the gearbox when people drive with a hand resting on the gear stick.

#3 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Graeme! I couldn't see what it was supposed to do!

#4 cristiano1968

cristiano1968

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:28 PM

I've been refurbishing mine also
and I've got one
but just to clarify
dies it go into the housing bush or the yoke bush?
thanks

#5 cristiano1968

cristiano1968

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

which hole is it supposed to go in to?

Attached Files

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,888 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 August 2021 - 05:53 AM

Well, this is another new one on me !

So like to 'prevent' too much over-throw ?

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:08 AM

which hole is it supposed to go in to?

I don’t recall it going into a bush, just sits on the shaft and is free to move around.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:10 AM

In a way yes, maybe in the later years they realised tolerances on the physical stop on the casing for the selector shaft wasn’t working

#9 cristiano1968

cristiano1968

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

I think your right that it just stays on the shaft
won't even fit in either of the holes

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:51 AM

As GreameC says this slips over the rod and sits between the housing body & the yoke.  Not sure what it's for either, apart from maybe to stop the metallic knocking of the yoke hitting the housing, but that may be too simplistic.  There is only one, the rear doesn't have one as mentioned above.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 08:45 AM

In a way yes, maybe in the later years they realised tolerances on the physical stop on the casing for the selector shaft wasn’t working

It does answer an 'issue' I have encountered in the quite late gearboxes, that yes, the do over-throw, to the point where the detent balls are about to come out.

#12 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 31 August 2021 - 01:34 PM

I remember reading about that (the wear issue) when I was about 6 or 7, so very early 70s.  It was in Practical Mechanic or something like that, before glossy magazines and when all the photos were all B&W :-)  Someone had this issue in their Triumph Herald IIRC. I don't know why but it must have struck a chord because it's always been in the back of my mind when I've considered doing the 'hand resting on the gear stick' thing!

#13 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:29 PM

Coincidentally, working on my linkage housing at the moment and came across the same collar. Wasn't sure what it was for, so thank you for clearing that one up

(One of the bushes had popped out which may account for the sloppy gear changes, so replacing those too.)

#14 cristiano1968

cristiano1968

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:33 PM

I was thinking of renewing the bushes as well
the ones where the shaft goes through.
where did you get yours from
I looked on mini spares and somerford mini
none at all

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:33 PM

I was thinking of renewing the bushes as well
the ones where the shaft goes through.
where did you get yours from
I looked on mini spares and somerford mini
none at all

You'll need to get them from a Bearing Supplier. They are a DU Bush, the size is R-08DU08, you'll need 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users