23 replies to this topic

#16 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

Got a big Draper 1/2" socket set that I must have had 20 + years covers a multitude of AF and MM sizes, great quality used and abused on everything.

Also have a 1/4" drive B&Q own brand kit, cheapish but great selection of sockets and torx / allen bits, only had to replace 1 10mm socket which broke and the ratchet itself over much use. 

I have a variety of random deep sockets, 3/8 sockets with adapters, spline sockets bought specifically for various jobs on more modern cars.

I really fancy this Teng tools kit as an all purpose 3/8" set, maybe I'll treat myself.

https://www.ebay.co....LgAAOSwoJhdsvGc

#17 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

I used 1/2" drive for years (good quality set) and never had too many problems but then I bought a 3/8" drive set about three or four years ago and it was a revelation

Same here. Mostly because I started on more modern vehicles which seem to have every fastener wound to a gazillion torques. Now I tend to buy new sockets in 3/8" drive if I need something and then add smaller or larger later if needed. For example, hex-drive sockets - I started with those in 3/8" drive but needed a larger size for the crank pulley (as I have the extended one for a trigger wheel) so bought a 1/2" drive set.

I do have a 1" drive breaker bar and a couple of sockets that I inhereted. I think my Dad used them on his Landy, and as I have one they'll stay in the toolbox! I also have a few weird sizes and a set of Whitworth sockets for the same reason (including some box-spanners).

#18 And again

And again

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:31 PM

I second the Halfords pro set covers everything and lifetime guarantee I’ve had mine 20+years only needed to have 1/4 ratchet replaced with no quibble or receipt needed as it’s all stamped up Halfords

Edited by And again, 16 September 2020 - 10:31 PM.

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:57 PM

3/8" isn't much cop on very tight bolts.

Never had any issues other than the big nuts on the Mini. That is anything over the size of the sockets in the set.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:00 PM

I used 1/2" drive for years (good quality set) and never had too many problems but then I bought a 3/8" drive set about three or four years ago and it was a revelation;

Agreed.

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:01 PM

I think you'd struggle with a 3/8" ratchet on some of the bigger fittings & a 1/2" torque wrench is needed to cover the fasteners where using one really matters.

But you may well find a mixed set that's better value.

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:02 PM

As MrBounce says - you can get carried away.......

Very easily.

W2klpk7.jpg

Edited by nicklouse, 16 September 2020 - 11:38 PM.

#23 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Ive got all all 3 and rarely use 1/4.

3/8 is my automatic go to.

#24 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

I've got 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 for various jobs on various cars, but for the strip and rebuild of the Cooper, 95% of it has been done with 3/8 sockets, ratchets and extensions etc.

I do find that the 3/8 stuff is small enough to get in tight spots, but also big enough to get most stubbon bolts undone! I have gone over to using 6 point (sided) sockets now, as they are less likely to slip on tight and / or corroded heads.

As always, buy the best you can afford at the time, and it should last your lifetime!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users