Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

Hi all,

- Mini Cooper 1992 

- Carb 1275

Just went on a little ride (lets say 15 km) and suddenly I could not change gears anymore (from neutral) There was a little noise that intensified over around a 100 metres and then a little bang. I stopped and tried to change gears, but it wont get into gear. Clutch pedal feels fine I think. When the engine is turned off I can still change into gears. When I opened the bonnet a very little bit of smoke was coming from the clutch housing/gearbox. It also smelled abit burned (nothing too much I think, I have smelled worse).

Anyone has a clue what could be wrong? 

Many thanks! 

#2 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaged when the pedal is pressed.
Start by checking the hydraulics. Get an assistant to press the clutch (engine off) and watch to see if the slave cylinder is moving the clutch arm properly.
If it is not, then that's your problem. Check your clutch fluid level and check for fluid leaks around slave and master cylinder. You'll have to get your head in the driver's footwell to check for fluid leaking in there from the master.

If your hydraulics are good then it's something else. Go from there.

#3 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:42 PM

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaged when the pedal is pressed.
Start by checking the hydraulics. Get an assistant to press the clutch (engine off) and watch to see if the slave cylinder is moving the clutch arm properly.
If it is not, then that's your problem. Check your clutch fluid level and check for fluid leaks around slave and master cylinder. You'll have to get your head in the driver's footwell to check for fluid leaking in there from the master.

If your hydraulics are good then it's something else. Go from there.

Thanks for the reply!

I checked the hydraulics as you said. I filmed the slave cylinder with my phone and then pressed the clutch pedal (as I was on my own). The arm is moving. I also bled the system but still it would not go into gear when the engine is running.

Maybe the arm is not moving far enough? Here is the video:

Like a day before it broke down, I noticed that the overthrow nut was really vibrating, like a lot. My knowledge about these parts is really limited but I assume this could have something to do with it?

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users