4 replies to this topic

#1 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

I'm going to have to replace the whole floor on my mini van and probably the toe board too, I'm trying to find the best option, either A - buying a full m-machine floor or B - buying a saloon heritage floor, extension piece, sills, heelboard etc or c - buying a magnum van floor and buying the sills, heelboard etc.

Option A - m-machine - roughly £750 +postage

Pro's - it's already welded on a jig so know it's square etc

Con's - it's 2 floor half and a tunnel spot welded together so have the seams for rust traps

- Not knowing how well the seams are rust protected, if at all?

Option B - Hertage - around £550 + postage

Pro's - It's mainly one full panel

- Can treat all the seams with what I want

Con's - Have to weld it yourself with no jig

- Spi floor so has one floor flute running down the full length of the floor 

- have a seam at the back where the mani floor attaches to the extension piece

Option C - Magnum - roughly £690 + 2 x postage 

Pro's - Full floor panel

- Can treat all the seams with what I want

Con's - Have to weld it yourself with no jig

- Unsure on quality and thickness of steel (usually slightly thinner than heritage and m-machine)

- I think they only do round tunnels currently?

So has anybody had experience of the above options? Any tips for fitting it? I'm going to brace it all and portably put a couple of datums like the front and rear subframe mounting holes.

I very nearly bought the M-machine one yesterday until I saw they aren't one piece (I forgot to ask about rust protection they apply between the seams when I rang them)

BiUPrdR.jpg

#2 MrE812

MrE812

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: ELMOC

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:10 PM

Hey Alex,

In my limited experience, replacing one panel which is pre-assembled will be easier than assembling the jigsaw yourself (see Project Binky).

You'd still need to brace the shell and possibly make reference points to align with the floor.

I sourced half floors for my estate through M-Machine along with some heritage panels too.

Doreen would see you right I'm sure.

I would also suggest you assume nothing is protected against corrosion and treat all joints as a matter of course.

The coating on most panels is a courtesy to shipping and I've certainly had to sand back to bare steel to remove corrosion under the e-coat.

A good dose of etch primer and/or paint and seam sealant before more primer etc should be the ticket.

Other experts will be along to advise shortly I'm sure.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

I had this dilemma on a pickup I restored.

I ended up ordering the m machine floor but immediately sent it back. Not sure if it was just a dodgy one but i would describe it as being a scruffy patchwork quilt.

I ended up going for the heritage saloon floor, traveller/estate extension piece and then van sills and it worked out perfectly.

Like you pointed out, it has the injection pressing but is a small price to pay if you want a factory looking finish.

I had no issues getting the extension to line up. All you have to do is cut the return off of the back of the floor pan.

You don't need a jig, just build it all up on the car.

Here is how I did it, scroll down towards the end of this page for the start of the process.

http://www.theminifo...of-wight/page-4

Cheers

Ben 

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

Hey Alex,

In my limited experience, replacing one panel which is pre-assembled will be easier than assembling the jigsaw yourself (see Project Binky).

You'd still need to brace the shell and possibly make reference points to align with the floor.

I sourced half floors for my estate through M-Machine along with some heritage panels too.

Doreen would see you right I'm sure.

I would also suggest you assume nothing is protected against corrosion and treat all joints as a matter of course.

The coating on most panels is a courtesy to shipping and I've certainly had to sand back to bare steel to remove corrosion under the e-coat.

A good dose of etch primer and/or paint and seam sealant before more primer etc should be the ticket.

Other experts will be along to advise shortly I'm sure.

Cheers, Thats what I was thinking being pre-assembled and would save time. I did ring Doreen and she was very helpful.

Definitely going to be coating up the panels and doing it as i fit them, I learnt that after doing my saloon project >_<

I had this dilemma on a pickup I restored.

I ended up ordering the m machine floor but immediately sent it back. Not sure if it was just a dodgy one but i would describe it as being a scruffy patchwork quilt.

I ended up going for the heritage saloon floor, traveller/estate extension piece and then van sills and it worked out perfectly.

Like you pointed out, it has the injection pressing but is a small price to pay if you want a factory looking finish.

I had no issues getting the extension to line up. All you have to do is cut the return off of the back of the floor pan.

You don't need a jig, just build it all up on the car.

Here is how I did it, scroll down towards the end of this page for the start of the process.

http://www.theminifo...of-wight/page-4

Cheers

Ben 

Thanks Ben, Thats very Useful! I'll definitely be following that thread when I start it. I did think you had done a full floor but couldn't find it. I did see minimikej's estate thread that he had problems too. I think that makes up my mind on what way to do it though looking at your work. A friend of mine has just done similar on his clubman estate and said it wasn't too bad a job. I was going to ask if you would replace the toe board before or after the floor but your thread answers that :lol:

It's going to be another big order from minispares  O_O

I'll probably have loads of questions on bits you've done when I start doing it, if you don't mind ;D

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

No problem Alex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users