Photo
- - - - -

Quick Throttle Cable Question

Best Answer cal844 , 23 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

You will have a spare on the other side of the car. Many had two fitted in production as it was easier than marking them as left or right hand Drive.

but there are threaded cable stops available in motorsport shops and cycle shops.

I was just going to say try a stretch adjuster for a cable bike brake.

If push comes to shove drill the hole bigger in the shell, fit the brake adjuster so the threads come inboard (towards the pedal) so you have a cheeky rev limiter too ?? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

I am now at the last stages of fixing all my MOT problems (after i kept finding more and more wrong with the mini).  I was replacing my throttle cable, and my existing one was seized in the bulkhead ferrule (bit the cable slots into on the bulkhead).  After a bit of swearing, i managed to move it, but the ferrule also came off with the cable (the cable is 13+ years old).  can you get replacement ones, or can i go for the metro style cable with the plastic end http://www.minispare...|Back to search

thanks

Rich

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

Just fit a new cable, go to a bicycle repair shop for a section of outer and a new gear cable(take your current cable pedal end with you)

Much cheaper than buying a premade cable from minispares etc

#3 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

Just fit a new cable, go to a bicycle repair shop for a section of outer and a new gear cable(take your current cable pedal end with you)

Much cheaper than buying a premade cable from minispares etc

cheers cal. the issues isnt the throttle cable, its the bit in the bulkhead that the cable goes through. mine has broken off, so the cable can pass through the bulkhead

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

Should be ease enough to rescue from the cable - just drill the remains of the cable from the middle of it (most are brass and should drill out easily).

Then you could either hold it back in place with a tack of weld or even epxoy or chemical metal.

#5 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

Should be ease enough to rescue from the cable - just drill the remains of the cable from the middle of it (most are brass and should drill out easily).

Then you could either hold it back in place with a tack of weld or even epxoy or chemical metal.

i have managed to rescue it, may try the epoxy.  was wondering if there was a replacement for it?

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

Somewhere like m-machine might have them, but it is likely a part that gets used in the manufacture of new panels but isn’t generally available separately.
I think originally they are swaged into the hole.

#7 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:04 PM

Merlin Motorsports sell a throttle cable adjuster that is basically a hollow threaded fastener that could fit through the firewall. Check ‘em out.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:09 PM

You will have a spare on the other side of the car. Many had two fitted in production as it was easier than marking them as left or right hand Drive.

but there are threaded cable stops available in motorsport shops and cycle shops.

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:46 PM   Best Answer

I was just going to say try a stretch adjuster for a cable bike brake.

If push comes to shove drill the hole bigger in the shell, fit the brake adjuster so the threads come inboard (towards the pedal) so you have a cheeky rev limiter too ??

#10 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:30 AM

Don't over look the poor old lawnmower man
We have much to do with cables and regularly need to make adaptions due to parts being NLA
So I keep all sorts of bitznbobs cable related. Your local mower man may do too

#11 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

all, thanks for the advice.  I bought a bike brake cable adjuster, and it worked brilliantly! woohoo, one more job completed!

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users