5 replies to this topic

#1 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

I’d just like to put this out there to serve as a warning for anyone considering using Inch Engineering in Plymouth.

2 1/2 years ago I had a 1098 engine rebuilt by him. It never ran well from the off. Power was way down on what was to be expected, it smoked a lot, had a noisy clicking sound, leaked oil due to bottomed out bolts on the gearbox case. Other bolts had been packed out with multiple washers. The whole thing was shoddy. I did try for quite some time to make contact but all my efforts were ignored. Gradually I sorted out the obvious issues and lived with the result.

Now my engine is back out for some (a lot) of body work I’ve taken to stripping it down myself as I’ve got more time on my hands as I’m still furloughed.

The engine has done about 2500 miles since it’s rebuild. The honing marks are still very prominent so at least that did actually get done. But the rest is truly shocking.

Primary gear end float - 9 almost 10 thou.
Crankshaft end float - 8 thou and the thrust washers are second hand for sure. Even the silver steel is showing through the copper.
Cam timing miles out. 0 degree key and one tooth out on the cam gear.
The transfer case nuts weren’t done up. Some were finger tight and one had fallen off into the case, maybe that was the noise I could hear or maybe it was the worn cam followers.
The head which id paid for a refurb plus valve upgrade is completely standard, never skimmed and standard sized valves.
The 9.5:1 CR I asked for is in fact 8.7:1. No attempt to improve this.
To be fair the crank did get ground and new bearings were fitted.

I’m sure there is more I’ve forgotten.

Now I know why the power fell away after 4000rpm and it made no bhp. Not even factory standard figures.

It’s water under the bridge and the £3k he charged me is long forgotten but the standard of workmanship and lack of professionalism won’t be. He even nicked the waterproof kit off of my dizzy not that’s a big issue but it’s the principle of the thing.

Anyway I hope this serves as a warning to anyone down in the West Country considering an engine build. Learn to do it yourself or nip up the M5 to Slarks if you want to stay ‘local’.

Edited by Minigman, 26 August 2020 - 06:18 PM.

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

O_O  :ohno:

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

Sadly an all too common story with the motor trade with a handful of bad eggs spoilling it for the decent traders out there.

The sad thing is that doing it right in the first place would probably have hardly taken any more time and rather than you being on here berating him you might be on here prasing him (or at least not telling everyone to avoid him).

The mark of any business is not how they behave when everything goes will, its how they sort things out when something goes wrong.  Sadly in this case it sounds like they just ignored you.

#4 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

You’re right Homersimpson. However even if he came to me and offered to rebuild it for free, I would turn him away. I don’t trust the man further than I could throw him. I’m not a professional mechanic, just a keen and now learning enthusiast, but even I can see that literally no care was taken with the build and I got ripped off. I’m looking forward to getting the machining done and rebuilding it myself. At least I know I’ve done it right and the labour was free. Still going to cost £1800 to do it properly though with a nice ‘stage 3’ head.

Edited by Minigman, 27 August 2020 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

Shocker!!  There’s some bad tradesmen out there. But even the good ones have the odd off day.  I’m just thankful I’ve found a great one that tackles the stuff that’s above my head, there’s plenty of those.   A queue of Minis and a waiting list is a good sign.

Perhaps it’s time we had a generalised list of good people.  Would be hard to keep it honest though.  

#6 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

Yep a shocker indeed. It gets worse. I’m now having the gearbox rebuilt too despite paying for a rebuild by Paul Inch. No central oil pick up as requested and paid for. Massive layer end float >0.010”. The diff planet gears rattle when rotating the outputs as they’re so worn. Quite a bit of play in and out on the output shafts too. The crown wheel was swapped over as requested so why would you just chuck all the worn out stuff back in when ‘rebuilding’ someone’s diff?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users