#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

"ALKS is vehicle technology designed to control the lateral, left and right, and longitudinal, forward and back, movement of the vehicle for an extended period without further driver command. During such times, the system is in primary control of the vehicle, and performs the driving task instead of the driver, at low speeds on motorways."

The system could launch in spring 2021. But first the government needs to call for evidence to find out if the system is safe for drivers.
One of the queries is around the role of the driver and who’s responsible for safety.
The question is, will the cars using this technology be defined legally as an 'automated vehicle'?
If yes then the technology provider would be responsible for the safety of the vehicle when it's activated, rather than the driver.
They'll also seek evidence on whether the system is safe to use on British roads at speeds of up to 70 mph.
Later this year the government will launch a public consultation to review the safety evidence.
It’ll also discuss any changes to legislation and the Highway Code.

The Department for Transport seeks views on safe use of Automated Lane Keeping System (ALKS) on Great Britain's motorways.
(This consultation closes 27 October 2020)
https://www.gov.uk/g...ll-for-evidence

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

At this point in time and with our current road infrastructure, there is no way this can be considered a safe thing to do. Plus there are some serious clowns out there who really should not be in charge of a vehicle, automated or not.

Something for the future?? maybe but not anytime soon.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:35 PM

It's even more ill-conceived than (not very) smart motorways. Autonomous vehicles have already killed people.

What value is lane-keeping when the "driver" is in the wrong lane, like Anne Sacoolas was?

Will vehicles, so equipped, drive on the left as they should or will they continue, ad nauseam, in the overtaking lane?

Who thinks a system, with less sense than Chris Grayling, ought to be in charge of two tonnes of moving metal?

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

...if only they could come up with a system that encourages a driver back into the left hand lane after overtaking

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

To be fair to autonomous vehicles those with drivers have also killed more than a few people.That said I think it is a very poor idea,not the system itself but rather the mixing of the tech on our crowded roads.Perhaps if the manufacturer was made totally accountable in an accident with the driver totally absolved there may be some reluctance to implement it.Just the thoughts of an old fart,beware we are implicit in eroding our own freedoms.Steve..

#6 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

Autonomous vehicles are the daftest idea ever dreamt up by mad scientists.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

Autonomous vehicles are the daftest idea ever dreamt up by mad scientists.

+1

#8 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

It's that old chestnut:

"Just because you CAN, does not mean that you SHOULD". Technology is great, but as with any system, it' only good when it works. 

This is why I have kept all my tapes, CDs and records, as it's a royal pain in the flange when downloads don't work, or get corrupted etc.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:42 PM

My attention was grabbed by "at low speeds on motorways".

I wonder what that means?

Perhaps HGVs in the left lane? If so, there could be a hidden agenda to increase driver hours or even stick them bumper to bumper in road trains for better mpg.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

many cars have a lane keeper system available already.  done many miles with hands of the steering wheel over the last two years.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

Perhaps HGVs in the left lane? If so, there could be a hidden agenda to increase driver hours or even stick them bumper to bumper in road trains for better mpg.

I noticed that but a little later on they say "They'll also seek evidence on whether the system is safe to use on British roads at speeds of up to 70 mph."

#12 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:03 AM

Although not exactly related to this, I did recently see a report stating that some assisted self driving systems can detect if you are paying attention/have fallen asleep at the wheel.

If they can't get you back to being alert, they are designed to stop the car "safely", however this is regardless of which lane you are in/where you are.

Fell asleep in the fast lane of the motorway? Why not park there....

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

I noticed that but a little later on they say "They'll also seek evidence on whether the system is safe to use on British roads at speeds of up to 70 mph."

Most UK roads that you can do 70 on are in no fit condition for many of the auto driving systems to work. 

Then the “Smart” Motorways through up other issues.

#14 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

I would love to have autonomous vehicle control for motorways - cars keeping the correct distance apart in any conditions would all but eradicate accidents there, reduce driver fatigue and journey times. Bring it on!

#15 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

I always think it's remarkable how few accidents there are on the roads considering the low standard of driving. 

I'm not sure the way to tackle the remaining accidents is to automate things so people get even less driving practice.  I'd rather see improved driver training where they teach useful things, for example how to overtake (as many people are incapable of doing so and would rather tailgate and make it difficult for anyone else to overtake) and even retesting say every ten years.  It might mean some people lose their licences but if they can't pass the tests that probably wouldn't be a bad thing for the rest of us - the driving test isn't really that difficult. 

Oh and we used to have this things where the police patrolled the roads and driving standards rose when they were around.  You had to be careful because the police could be round the next corner, nowadays you know they won't be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users