#1 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:54 PM

Hi all,

I recently acquired a '92 Cooper (carb) through my work and planned on driving it throughout the summer. This kind of failed as I only managed to drive a few 100 KM's due to a hydraulic braking issue as well as the clutch failing to disengage. So, therefore, I have decided to go ahead and start with my project involving backdating it to an MK1 Austin Cooper S!

The plan is to strip it, repair the rust, repaint it in a lovely 60/70s brown color with an Old English White roof, and install a few MK1 features. A few of the features I have in mind are: MK1 boot lid, MK1 rear lights, dummy external door hinges (please forgive me god), centre speedo, 70s recliner seats, Moustache grille surround, MK1 Austin Cooper Grille, Bumper over-rider with corner bars, Rose Petal wheels, Chrome wheel arch trim, double HS2 SU carbs.

This is my first project car and I know I still have to learn a lot. I am in no rush to finish the project quickly and rather do it propper than doing a half-ass job. I have started with disassembling my orange little mini and really enjoyed the process so far. The picture with the brown mini is the look or style that I am aiming at.

Let me know what you think! Have I forgotten any MK1 features that can be installed (easily) or should I leave one out?

Attached Files

#2 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:13 PM

Not fussy on the idea of fake hinges but it's your project so do whatever you want.

I'll be watching for one.

Also I assume you mean chrome arch and sill trim? I for one hate chrome arch covers on a mini but chrome arch lip trim in your pic is a different thing altogether. 

#3 Tds76

Tds76

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:53 AM

You'll lose your reversing lights in the Mk1 conversion, so could go with the works style boot lid mounted lamp instead.

https://images.app.g...qDtpWgPsdkVrQ76
The lamp is a Lucas WFT576.

Another option, and this is because I really like brightly coloured 1970s cars... But go for a MinI Mk3 look instead and leave it in orange.

Edited by Tds76, 01 September 2020 - 09:13 AM.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

Why not strengthen the door and A-panel, remove the internal hinges and put proper external hinges on?

#5 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

One nice mod that is not quite bolt-on, is to modify the centre switch panel so that you can fit a mk1 switch panel. 

I do quite like the ideas above about making an early mk3 replica. They look super stylish with the mk2 lights and the brighter colour schemes. 

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

i'm a fan of the conversion to Mk1 look(as that's what I did!). I felt it wasn't worth the cost of doing a full Mk1 door & hinges conversion - very few people notice if the rest of the car is retro.

1zkYryH.jpg

#7 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:15 PM

I like that everytime I see it.

#8 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

Not fussy on the idea of fake hinges but it's your project so do whatever you want.

I'll be watching for one.

Also I assume you mean chrome arch and sill trim? I for one hate chrome arch covers on a mini but chrome arch lip trim in your pic is a different thing altogether. 

Yes that is indeed what I meant. Going for the style as shown in the second picture

#9 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

You'll lose your reversing lights in the Mk1 conversion, so could go with the works style boot lid mounted lamp instead.

https://images.app.g...qDtpWgPsdkVrQ76
The lamp is a Lucas WFT576.

Another option, and this is because I really like brightly coloured 1970s cars... But go for a MinI Mk3 look instead and leave it in orange.

Yes! Forgot to add that one to thes list. I really like the look of that rear mounted lamp

I sort of have a hate/love relationship with the orange colour haha. At first I couldnt stand it, way too screamy and bright, but now I am thinking it also looks abit vintage like the 70s cars indeed

#10 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:50 PM

Why not strengthen the door and A-panel, remove the internal hinges and put proper external hinges on?

I thought about this as well.  I also like the inside of MK1 doors better. But knowing myself, my skills and my budget, Its probably best for me not to start with this. I couldnt do the job myself as I am not qualified to do so, and its probably also outside my budget to let the conversion do by someone else and to buy mk1 doors. 

#11 robot95

robot95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:57 PM

One nice mod that is not quite bolt-on, is to modify the centre switch panel so that you can fit a mk1 switch panel. 

I do quite like the ideas above about making an early mk3 replica. They look super stylish with the mk2 lights and the brighter colour schemes. 

I am still in doubt whether I should do that! The metal dashrail surrounding the switch panel is broken so I need to do some work there anyway. I still wondering if its a lot of cable and wiring work to convert the switches. Any experience perhaps? 

#12 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:10 PM

The lower rail needs a thin filet on the lower edge (see a picture of it in my blog) converting the switches to toggles isn't too bad - just need to be methodical and label everything. You will need an auxiliary switch panel for hazards, heated rear window, brake test, fog lamp and any spots - the wires for these needs extending to reach the new switch panel. 

#13 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:58 AM

. I have started with disassembling my orange little mini and really enjoyed the process so far. 

Can I borrow your cloning machine?  :shifty:   I need one of me to look after the baby, one to do DIY, one to go to work and two to finish the mini.  Nah, maybe three to finish the mini...

#14 fokko

fokko

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:33 AM

Nice project, good to see another Dutchie here! Agree with the others regarding the hinges, either don't bother or fit real MK1 hinges. WiredByWilson has some nice switch panels you might want to consider: https://www.wiredbyw....co.uk/photos/. I'll follow your project :-)

#15 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

I'm 99% sure those are Dunlop D1 alloys not Rose Petals on the brown mini.

Following

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users