Photo

1995 - What Was Rover Factory Coating And How To Replicate Or Improve?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PRMiniCooperSPi

PRMiniCooperSPi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:18 PM

I’m working on my 1995 Cooper to get the bodywork solid and protected. The majority of the underside is in good condition with what appears to be the factory finish on it. This looks to be a grey e-coat followed by a flexible thick lighter grey coating with colour coat on top (flame red). Can anyone confirm if the bodies were e-coated at this time?

There are a few points where the thicker coating has been scratched and surface rust is appearing (away from the major rust in the sills and edge of the footwells). I’m planning to remove the thick grey coating totally and scraping away leaves the darker coating on the body steel. This seems pretty durable and rust doesn’t appear to creep under it so I assume it’s best to leave this where it’s in good condition and then cover the underside once repairs are completed. It’s DIY so no breathing apparatus. What is the best approach and products? I think Zinc rich primer (Bilt Hamber Electrox) over rust converter (for anything not cut out and replaced, and also bare steel (BH Hydrate 80)) followed by an epoxy anti stone chip layer with top coat over (rattle can flame red) and then wax (after the visible bodywork is painted but before the subframes, pipes etc go on). Am I on the right lines? What’s a good stone chip paint to use?

I’m planning on zinc rich primer and chassis paint for subframes, suspension and brackets etc. Any suggestions?

Finally - for Heritage panels is the usual approach to strip the black finish completely before repainting or to key and prime over?

Many thanks - I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions shortly!

Piers

#2 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

I can't really answer your question, but wanted to let you know the Bilt Hamber say not to you Electrox over Hydrate 80. Electrox needs to contact bare clean steel for it to work.

#3 PRMiniCooperSPi

PRMiniCooperSPi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for that - I’d better check the instructions carefully!

#4 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

From my experiance they are good products, but like any coating, correct preperation is essential for it to work.

I have been using the Deox products a lot lately...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users