#1 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

Hi guy's,

I'm liking this roll bar and I think what I like best is that the front roll bar at the window is the same height as the rear bar.  I like symmetry. 

So I think I am going to have to lower my tomb stone style seats some how in my 1981 Moke because I intend on putting a bikini hood liner from the front bar to the rear bar.  I'm thinking I'm also going to have to put a centre uplifting bar between the windscreen and the back bar to keep the top cover tight. 

Anyway so back to my original question, can you alter the original base/sliders of the seats to sit lower?  

Thanks Brad

Attached File  bars5.jpg   45.31K   2 downloads

Attached File  best bar.jpg   50.35K   1 downloads

#2 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:20 PM

I don't know the design of those seats but I lowered the seats in my Spi very simply, or at least I lowered myself :)

Under the seat base the diaphragm is suspended on the frame via hooks. Replacing these hooks with springs allows your weight to sink lower in the car. There's kits available for the MGF where people have trouble with head height with the hood up. MGF seats have the same basic construction as Spi/MPI seats.
Perhaps an idea?

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

Brad, if you take the seats out (and they are the original types for this model) that tilt forward, you'll notice there's an Angle piece that's bolted on to the runners. From memory, these are about 3" high at the front and about 1-1/4" at the back. You can effectively chop and 1-1/4" off the that angle piece. I'd suggest flatening the very bottom part that has the bolt holes in it, then measuring up that distance you have at the back end of them at both ends, cutting to that line, then folding an angle back in to them so they can be bolted down again.

I'll just add though, they were never a great seat. They didn't last too well and personally, I found them not very comfortable.

I know you were toying with fitting some Cobra Low Back type seats and if that's the look you'd like, then go with something like them. The Cobra Classic's are 19.75" wide in the base, but the Mounting Platform in the Moke is only 33", so you'll not have enough real estate to land 2 of them on.

If you could find a pair of frames from the 68 - 71 model Moke, they are 'Low Back'. Originally they were made as a 'Sling Back' which looks like the old school beach chair. Many in our Club had these frames retrimmed to something very similar in appearance to the Cobra Classic. The 72 to 79 Base Model Mokes had a similar seat frame and these too could easily be done in the same way. They did have a bolt on head rest that can be removed and the mounting point ground off.

Another option here maybe to obtain a pair of early UK Mini Moke Seats and have them trimmed. Original seats you'll never find, but there's a firm making good replicas of them and another firm has them in fibreglass.

I did mean to reply in your last thread, that I have Mazda MX-5 Seats. They are a High Back, so possibly not what you are after. They can be fitted to sit a little lower than the stock seat, though, it'll be a bit of a battle. Personally, I've found these to be the most comfortable seat I have anywhere (including the lounge room), I have sat in them for weeks on end, day after day and never had a comfort issue with them. I don't have a good back and can be in pain from poor seats, but I can't recommend these highly enough. As a bonus, in the Head Rests, they have speakers (or a cavity for them) which places the speakers nearer to your ears. I find that I don't need to crank it up much to hear from them over the road noise.

Mokes are very hard to find alternative seats for due to there not being much room to fit them.

#4 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:39 AM

Hi Spider,

Those MX5 seats look like the goods but unfortunately every other Moke owner in Oz also knows this so they are like rocking horse pooh.

I'm a little confused about the measurements.  So are you telling me if I fit the Cobra seats I can only fit 1, well that's not really going to work?  

I found these seats.  But I'm confused about these measurements also.   They say 480 mm width which isn't going to work but I think they maybe talking about the shoulder width and not the base width which might be 360mm?  

Can you please check this link out and pass your super Moke powers of observation over to see if you think these will fit.

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

Thanks mate.

Brad.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

OK, those Autotechnia Seats have an overall width of 18.9 " (480 mm), but the 'squab' or the part of the seat you put your backside on, is inboard of the seat sides and that's just over 14" wide (360 mm).  Sadly, 2 of these, side by side, won't fit.

I haven't looked in recent years, however, last time I did look the only after market seat I found in any brand / range was a Cobra Sports Car Recliner. I got a pair of these from the UK and they fitted easily, however after a 3 hour drive, I didn't feel at all comfortable and my missus was in so much pain from them, she was in tears. Dreadful seat.

Maybe place an enquiry with these guys if you'd like some MX-5 Seats. The ones you need are from the NA Model;-

https://mx5mania.com.au/

I can have a look at what I have here, I know I have a few sets, I'll just see if I have a spare set.

I know they are thin on the ground, but they do come up. One mate joined one of the Mazda Forums and picked up a set within minutes.

Another seat that comes to mind is a Suzuki Cuppachino - these apparently fit, but other than that, I know nothing about them.

#6 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Spider,  I was so close to pushing the buy button....luckily I didn't.  

I have since found these seats.  I know they won't be the most comfortable  but I think these will fit.   Definitely not for you with your bad back ;-)

https://www.autospor...sprint-fia-seat

They look bloody cool though.

Brad

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

Ha ! They aren't for my back, but for yours, so what ever rings your bell is all that matters here.

Will they fit ? Yes and No, possibly more No though.

If you look at dimension F in their diagram, (the Bottom part of the Seat) that's a shade over 16" (410 mm) and as we have 33" (838 mm) to get them in to, this looks like it fits,,,,

BUT

If you also look at dimension E in their diagram (the widest part of the Back Rest), that's near enough 20.5"  (520 mm) and so won't fit directly side by side,,,

However,,,

As an option here, as the Seat Backs are fixed on these, you could 'off-set' mount them so that the Passenger's Seat is further back than the Driver's Seat and in this way, the 2 Back Rests miss each other. I can't say how much they'd need to be off-set from each other though, but I'd guess that's about 6 - 8" (150 - 200 mm). You might need to grab a measuring stick and take some measurements from some seats. If you can find a helpful shop who has 2 in stock, you could put them side by side on the floor and make some measurements that way.

Recaro when fitting Seats in Mokes (long ago now), used to do something similar to this when they'd 'factory' fit them, only, they'd also have to raise one of the seats too.

Picking in the way of Seats for Mokes have always been very thin to none. It's a better situation these days as there are a few options. Back in the 70's and 80's the only seat available anywhere that properly fit a Moke was a Moke Seat, there simply was nothing else around. As I have always done the longer trips (and back when I was younger, often non-stop), I had a burning need for a Recliner, at least on the Passenger's side. As there was nothing available, I set about modifying the original tube frame 'Tombstone' Californian seats that Moke had so that it did recline. Worked well and served us well for many years.

#8 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Spider,

I thought buying mags for a Moke was hard, this is getting ridiculous.  

I have settled on these now.   Cobra Cub's which are 460mm wide which is only 10 mm wider than my original 1981 tilt high backs.  

I can mount them directly to the Moke seat anchor platform or on some box section which will give me some extra clearance in the width by going up a little because of the angled gunnels of the Moke.  

Minispares in the UK have them for around $500 AUD but I think freight would kill me.  So I'll just have to suck up these local prices.  

http://www.revolutio...SV=Primary&CDO=

What do reckon mate?

Thanks

Brad

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:33 PM

They do look like they'll fit OK and they do look nice.

Only from experience here, if you can find a stockist locally (or it could even be worth paying for a cheap return flight given the money involved), try one for a good 10 15 minutes.

Those Cobra Sports Car Seats I had a few years back looked Ace and fitted easily, but a Cactus would have been more comfortable. It was an expensive mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users