Photo
- - - - -

Oil Leak Backing Plate A+ Automatic

Best Answer Spider , 13 September 2020 - 05:28 AM

I'd actually be inclined to say it's coming from the head gasket. The Oil Pressure Feed to the Head is in that corner of the block. If it does leak, it tends to run down around there to the front engine plate, which can make it look like it's from the plate. There is a small part of the block above the front engine plate and below the head gasket where you should see it if it's leaking from there.

The other thing it could be from is poor machining of the block. I've had a couple of A+ blocks that have been quite poorly machined to the point where they'd leak oil, but they were both early A+ Blocks.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:19 PM

Hello, my 1992 A+ AUTO 998 out of my Pickup is leaking along the backing plate to the engine block on the right side looking from the front of the engine. so far i have removed the plate twice, this last time changed it for another backing plate . still leaking the engine is sitting on an engine stand, when running you can see it weeping along the edge, once it has sat idle not running more oil appears over a 5 minute period. anyone had similar experiences. i am going to take it off again and was thinking of doubling up the gasket backing plate to engine block side. i know running the engine static is not the same as a road test, but it easier to pull apart outside the car. any suggestion welcome.

Attached Files

Edited by TVR, 13 September 2020 - 08:22 PM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:28 AM   Best Answer

I'd actually be inclined to say it's coming from the head gasket. The Oil Pressure Feed to the Head is in that corner of the block. If it does leak, it tends to run down around there to the front engine plate, which can make it look like it's from the plate. There is a small part of the block above the front engine plate and below the head gasket where you should see it if it's leaking from there.

The other thing it could be from is poor machining of the block. I've had a couple of A+ blocks that have been quite poorly machined to the point where they'd leak oil, but they were both early A+ Blocks.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:06 PM

first that is the front plate.

second is it really leaking there or is the oil just collecting there. it is rare to leak from between front plate and block (unless an oilway plug has gone) more likely to be leaking from the tappet cover or the rocker cover.

i suggest some UV leak additive for the oil.

#4 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

it is the front plate, and you can actually see the oil weeping out of that area indicated in the photo, the tappet covers are dry, i will check the rocker cover. i have a friend who owns a garage and we did put a dye in the oil but couldn't see the leak as clearly because the engine in the car, he has built a few mini engines and seems baffled as well.

#5 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

just wanted to check red arrow pointing to the oil gallery plug

Attached Files

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:25 AM

yes that is. but as it is in front of the plate it would come out of the other side of the engine than your first image.

again look to the tappet cover and the rocker gasket. As yet i have never seen a leak between block and front plate.

just a thought make sure the bolts are not passing through the front plate and lifting it off the block.

#7 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:16 AM

i have taken off the head to see if i could see anything, i am going to take this to the garage and see if we can figure anything further, it was decided to take the head just to confirm any doubts, since it was a suggestion to check the head gasket.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:20 AM

That is the oil feed hole for the rockers. You will see a horizontal drilling in the head that aligns with it and is closed off by a brass plug or a closed pop rivet.

#9 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:23 AM

i have taken off the head to see if i could see anything, i am going to take this to the garage and see if we can figure anything further, it was decided to take the head just to confirm any doubts, since it was a suggestion to check the head gasket.

Attached Files

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:25 AM

See above.

#11 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:31 AM

nicklouse, i see the plug as you said also with a rivet, if this were you think it  is leaking?????

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:43 AM

nicklouse, i see the plug as you said also with a rivet, if this were you think it  is leaking?????

nope i dont think anything i am just commenting. like i said the oil way is either a plug OR a rivet. it it was leaking you would have known about it as it is quite noticeable. but the gasket join could leak. double check that the head is not resting on the water pimp as-well.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:58 AM

Yes, that's the Oil Feed I referred to earlier. They can leak, I've seen quite a few.

#14 TVR

TVR

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:27 AM

the funny thing is it leaked more once the engine was turned off, i guess replacing the head gasket and cleaning everything up and try again, the good thing these are a simple engines to do some basic removal, and no computers need to start just 4 wires.

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

Looking at the line of paint on the head it looks very close to the oil feed hole.Steve..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users