202 replies to this topic

#181 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

are they mega expensive the ear defender intercom systems? i know u work for them but are they decent value/?

cheers lee

#182 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

Aaaah it all depends on who you speak to lol. Im sure I could sort something out for you mate :gimme: We could chat about it via PM's to be safe if you want

#183 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

well once i get the bloody thing on the road i'l be in contact
cheers lee

#184 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

hahaha no worries at all mate, you know where I am

#185 Taisto

Taisto

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

And next Q... What radiator you have use?

#186 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

normally the a standard four core rad but fitted on the left of the engine bay not the right

#187 wazza187

wazza187

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a FWD/Front engined R1 mini conversion (since in Australia, no chance of getting a Mid/Rear Engined mini registered).

Just wondering what kind/type of differential/Transaxle I should use?

Many people have referenced a 'Quaife Transaxle', and I think the below pic is from R1Mini, just wondering, anyone know enough detail about the transaxle below that I could place an order? i.e model number? etc. What is required to get it to fit the bike engine?

Thanks!

Posted Image

Thanks Guys!

#188 wazza187

wazza187

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hey guys,

I've been researching the Quaife site (its quite good, and detailed), from what I can tell, the one pictured in R1Mini's photo I linked to above, looks like it is the unit below:

Posted Image
CD Axle

From what I can see, this requires some kind of Chain/Gear transfer, either home-brew, or as shown below?
Chain Transfer Unit
Posted Image
Gear Transfer
Posted Image

However, from looking at their WebSite, I have seen the following unit:
Quaife QBA4R
Posted Image

From what I can tell, this unit contains a Diff and will bolt straight up to the Engine, and its all that would be required? (maybe some adapters, but no other chain/gear transfer units? I'm not sure of the scale of this, and whether it is suitable for a Mini...

Has anyone had any experience with these?

R1Mini, do you have any further details on your Build-up? haven't found a thread for your car, I'd be interested in how you link the Engine to the QBA2R

Thanks Guys!

#189 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hello,
I'm using the top Quaife box QBA2R, it is intended to be chain driven but I turned it round to direct drive it using taper locks and a rubber coupling, I contacted quaife and they said you can run it in any direction doesn't matter. These boxes now have a splined output as the taperlock has been proven to be not strong enough. I'm not using that box on the R1 now and have used it on a Blackbird rear engine mini, no problem with the box or R1 just I didn't fancy buying another one.
If you use it like in the picture, the front end will need extending about 2 inches you will also need a intermediate driveshaft to make the driveshafts a similiar length

Cheers
David

Attached Files

#190 dermow

dermow

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: irish mini owners club

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

HI
i,m new to this site and this section is right up my street.
I got more info from this thread alone then i have from a 4 months of searching in ireland.
I was wondering if anyone could help me sort out a way of mounting my R1 engine into
my COX GTM hillclimb car. I think fitting the fwd mini conversion into the back might do the trick?
Here are a few pics to help so you know what i am on about.
Put a pic of my daily driver aswell.
Thanks in advance.

Dermow
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#191 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

now that is cool! your subframe looks like swiss cheese haha good stuff! any action videos?

#192 dermow

dermow

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: irish mini owners club

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

now that is cool! your subframe looks like swiss cheese haha good stuff! any action videos?

Well if a subframe made from cheese is lighter than the original than i'm all for it!
Sorry no videos of her in action. The pic that has RMS in the corner is her in hillclimb.
The driver is her previous owner Ian Howard winning his class with a tuned A-series in the back.
Was looking at your engine on the Pro-Motive site and it looks like it is mounted the opposite way to mine.
This might help me with clearance for the diff. Have you any pics of your diff and chain drive assembly
as i am planning on fabricating them myself?

Edited by dermow, 30 September 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#193 wazza187

wazza187

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hello,
I'm using the top Quaife box QBA2R, it is intended to be chain driven but I turned it round to direct drive it using taper locks and a rubber coupling, I contacted quaife and they said you can run it in any direction doesn't matter. These boxes now have a splined output as the taperlock has been proven to be not strong enough. I'm not using that box on the R1 now and have used it on a Blackbird rear engine mini, no problem with the box or R1 just I didn't fancy buying another one.
If you use it like in the picture, the front end will need extending about 2 inches you will also need a intermediate driveshaft to make the driveshafts a similiar length

Cheers
David

Thanks David!

What did you end up using in the R1 Mini then? Did you find a better/cheaper alternative?
Do you have a thread for your car?

Cheers!

Wazza

Edited by wazza187, 01 October 2007 - 03:50 PM.

#194 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hello,
Better/cheaper, unfortunatly not both together, I made it chain drive which is cheaper but has no reverse but one can be fitted and the maintenance of the chain to consider. I haven't went mad trying to cram it all in a standard length round front, it will need to be extended by 3.5 inches but I'm happy with that, to give that extra much needed space

This is someone elses thread hope they don't mind!

Cheers
David

Attached Files

Edited by R1mini, 01 October 2007 - 07:56 PM.

#195 wazza187

wazza187

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thanks David,

Bosanova, your Mini looks great, did you have any more pictures on your front Diff setup? From what I could see there were two sprockets, and a diff mounted with pillow blocks.

Any chance of some more photos?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users