Photo
- - - - -

Heavy Duty Adjustable Tie Rods - Stripped The Thread!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Got a set of Minispares heavy duty adjustable tie rods and have managed to strip the thread on one of them.  No idea what I've done, the nut went on normally but then went funny as I was tightening it up.  I realised the threads were gone, so I removed and it's completely stripped the threads, never managed anything like it before, there's nothing left!

There's no chance it's a good idea to cut a smaller thread on is there?  And I bet they're not sold singly either are they.  curse my life.

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

These?:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

If so I may have a spare set

#3 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Actually, just checked, they're the Mini Sport Group A ones.  I guess I should email them rather than Mini Spares!

#4 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:56 AM

I had a look at the other one last night, it's only ever had the supplied nut on, never tightened up.  It's going the same way.  Took that one to bits and measured the thread and it appears to be 3/8" UNF, the supplied nuts are M10 as far as I can see, so thanks for that.  Recut the thread on that one and it's probably just about acceptable, the other one would need to be recut at M8 though.

Bought them ages ago, so no chance I'll get Mini Sport to sort their screw up now, so I best find out whether they supply just the that end or whether I need a complete new set.

#5 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

Managed to get a pair of new rod ends for £20 delivered from Mini Sport, really pleased with that as I didn't think they'd sell me just the ends!

#6 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:00 AM

Managed to get a pair of new rod ends for £20 delivered from Mini Sport, really pleased with that as I didn't think they'd sell me just the ends!

Rods ends?  Are you sure that you want to re-cut threads on a suspension component?

#7 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

No, I mean the ends of the tie rods, new ones so I don't have to use the ones I recut. I only really recut them to try to work out why they'd stripped.

The ones I tidied the threads up on, I think one was almost certainly fine, the other was probably OK just about, but for £20 it's a no-brainer to replace them, especially as it's under braking that they'd pull the nuts off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users