19 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

How exactly have you declared modifications to your insurance company?

My van has a 998 engine in place of its original 850.  My insurance company is aware of this and on the paperwork it states that the vehicle is modified and the capacity is 998cc.  No problem.

I declared a few years ago that I have fitted hilos.  It wasn't a problem for them as long as the vehicle was kept at standard helght.  No problem for me either and that's about where it is. 

I asked if this would be listed on the paperwork but they said it would not be.  I asked for written proof but they said that if a problem arose they could go back to the original phone conversation as evidence that I had informed them of the modification. 

I went with this at the time but now it's up for renewal it concerns me that I have no evidence that I have told them.  If I had to claim I'd be at their mercy about whether they could find the recording of the call.

The new quote is slightly cheaper but I'm wondering if they have based that quote on the fact that it has hilos fitted as I doubt they've listened to every previous phone call before sending it.

This is one of the more reputable companies too and I just want the insurance to be done properly.

Is this normal practice or am I being stitched up?

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

one option might be to send them an email declaring all modifications and ask them to reply confirming they have been accepted.  that way you'd have something to refer back to if there was a dispute

#3 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:46 PM

Always have some form of back-up. A recording of a phonecall is great but it's unlikely that we have the ability to do that, snd you can bet that if you need to refer back to your call, the company will mysteriously be unable to find it. An e-mail is a great plan, and is exactly how I would proceed.

Having worked for an insurance company, everything has to be *right* for them to pay claims. Back yourself up.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

Back it up with an email referencing the policy number, the modifications and who you talked to. That’s what I would do and will be doing once I finally get my car back on the road.

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

For an insurance company that is that vague I would give them a miss and find another company. I'm with Lancaster and all the mods are written down so no trawling 5 years later not being able to find the phone records.

#6 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

I sent mine a complete list of every mod as a pdf document by email and have confirmation it was received.

#7 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

I have previously set up an agreed valuation with everything listed on a separate document then get this confirmed by them.

#8 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:02 PM

I’m with Flux and they list everything that I’ve told them on my paperwork, but the schedule is more vague.

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

Thanks all.  The email with confirmation approach makes a lot of sense, it seems odd though that they don't suggest this themselves. 

It's Footman James on an agreed value policy.  The price was reasonable and they were pleasant to deal with and as the van's been off the road most of the time I haven't worried too much but their approach to the modifications always niggled.   I have some new mods to declare too like disc brakes so need to get this right. 

The policy is limited mileage too but they never ask for evidence of it, actually they only asked what it was the first year.

Might give Lancaster a ring.  I have a mate with Flux who has everything stated but I've heard a lot of mixed reports about them.  Any other suggestions for good companies?

There must be a lot of people with Minis where they've been modified by previous owners and the present owner isn't aware that it isn't standard.  Wonder how many problems that causes!

#10 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

Depends on the modification - do the insurance companies really know what was and wasn't standard or factory vs dealer fitted options?  Unlikely.

I have the same issue, except with an added layer of complexity - my car is a kit car (Mini Minus) so there was no factory spec to compare with - I did explain it all when it was insured and it just came back with "Fibreglass panels" on the schedule.  I guess they did a tick-box thing at their end for modifications.  When it's back on the road I'll write up the specification and send it when I get quotes again.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

If push came to shove I expect they'd have to show some lack of good faith and/or material difference in the risk. Hard to see how Hi-Lo's will make your Mini more likely to crash, get knicked, or cost more to repair. Is it any different to fitting a different brand of tyre or brake pad - as is likely with the majority of cars older than their warranties.

Of course you it could cost you more arguing that than the value of a claim  >_<

#12 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:17 PM

I took out insurance with Adrian Flux yesterday.Once you have informed them your vehicle is modified you will have to fill in an online form listing all the modifications.
If the modifications were performed by previous owners and you are not a Mini guru like I aren't,you can't be expected to know every little change that's been done.
That's probably why it says 'to my knowledge' or something similar at the end of the form.
I'd imagine other insurance companies would ask you to fill in a similar form,no ?

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:12 PM

If push came to shove I expect they'd have to show some lack of good faith and/or material difference in the risk. Hard to see how Hi-Lo's will make your Mini more likely to crash, get knicked, or cost more to repair. Is it any different to fitting a different brand of tyre or brake pad - as is likely with the majority of cars older than their warranties.

Of course you it could cost you more arguing that than the value of a claim  >_<

A change from drums to discs should make me less likely to crash but if it's an undeclared modification then some companies will use it as an excuse to not pay out hence why I want things recorded properly.

I took out insurance with Adrian Flux yesterday.Once you have informed them your vehicle is modified you will have to fill in an online form listing all the modifications.
If the modifications were performed by previous owners and you are not a Mini guru like I aren't,you can't be expected to know every little change that's been done.
That's probably why it says 'to my knowledge' or something similar at the end of the form.
I'd imagine other insurance companies would ask you to fill in a similar form,no ?

No, that's the problem, my company hasn't asked me to fill in a form declaring modifications.  I've told them a few things over the phone but the only written proof I have with them is the engine capacity change.

#14 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:23 PM

A change from drums to discs should make me less likely to crash 

That's not how they look at it, whet they see is, "that bloke has fitted better brakes so he's more likely to drive faster than your average punter, so if he has an accident he's likely to be travelling faster". Not always the case, but they're managing their risk based on previous claims.

#15 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

A change from drums to discs should make me less likely to crash but if it's an undeclared modification then some companies will use it as an excuse to not pay out hence why I want things recorded properly.

No, that's the problem, my company hasn't asked me to fill in a form declaring modifications.  I've told them a few things over the phone but the only written proof I have with them is the engine capacity change.

either use a different company or send them an email listing all the mods and ask them to confirm you're covered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users