Photo

Hi All. Newbie With Stage 1 Kit Issues. Runs Terrible.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mickyp

mickyp
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

Hi Guys, I have a 998 mayfair with a stage 1 kit fitted. Car will tick over on choke but any time more fuel is added to drive away it coughs and splutters and really struggles to stay running. Going to check points, plugs etc but more inclined to think carb issues. Anyone had similar? needle size issue? or something completely different. Regards Micky. 

#2 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

I have a stage one on my 998 and had no issues with the needle supplied. Have you got oil in dashpot?
What happens when car is warmed up and you don’t need choke? Car run ok then?

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

Needs setting up on rolling road.

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

Has the car ever run properly since the stg1 kit was fitted? Whose stg1 kit is it? What needle is fitted? The more info you give, the better the guesses will be.

#5 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Did you do a complete tune up recently? Make sure everything is nice and fresh before you start tearing everything up.

#6 mickyp

mickyp
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

Hi Guys, I have a 998 mayfair with a stage 1 kit fitted. Car will tick over on choke but any time more fuel is added to drive away it coughs and splutters and really struggles to stay running. Going to check points, plugs etc but more inclined to think carb issues. Anyone had similar? needle size issue? or something completely different. Regards Micky. 

Hi all, thanks for the answers. I know the needle was left original when the kit was fitted, don't know who's kit it was though unfortunately. oil in carb pot, no vacuum pipe on the dizzy, (noticed this earlier). Car will just about start and try and run but then dies (this is with choke) won't accelerate at all, this just makes it die. Won't run long enough on choke to warm up... I have a feeling it's not the end of the world but more of a few bits needing doing or doing again right. 

#7 mickyp

mickyp
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

Needs setting up on rolling road.

Hi all, is there anyone who can set up the su carb for me in the New Moston area? the car does run if you hold the choke on the carb but i'm missing something when it comes to getting it to run off the choke cable. (mainly knowledge) I have fitted a recon carb with correct stage one needle and spring and again it runs with help at the carb to keep it going. Someone who knows these carbs will probably rattle this job off and have it running ok in no time.. Willing to feed and brew for as well as some money if someone can sort this.. Regards Micky.

#8 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

When I first fitted my minispares stage 1 kit to my 998 I tried driving it around without changing the needle and it was pretty atrocious, bogging down constantly and just generally running very poorly. Fitting the correct AAU needle went a long way to helping solve this, checking the oil in the dashpot was correct which sorted out the bogging down under sudden acceleration, and I found that I needed to richen my mixture a fair bit using the large adjuster nut on the bottom of the carb. To be fair I could do with getting it rolling road tuned to be 100% perfect, but it runs very well now after I spent some time making very slight mixture adjustments, driving a fixed route around the block to test it, rinse and repeat until it was running nicely. Now it makes it up to about 85mph whereas before it struggled to even climb to 70 with a tail wind!

#9 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

Have you checked the vacuum line running to the dizzy?

#10 mickyp

mickyp
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:25 PM

Have you checked the vacuum line running to the dizzy?

Just fitted a new one. it's going to a garage who have mini experience to get sorted.. That should help.. 

#11 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

Hopefully resolved by now but if not I'd start by checking for gas leaks at the head a badly fitted leaky inlet manifold will cause no end of grief - and depending on whose kit it is a thickness difference between the flanges on the inlet and exhaust maninfolds can be fun to resolve and tighten up adequately - the standard washers won't do the trick....

#12 Johnmar

Johnmar

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

Hopefully resolved by now but if not I'd start by checking for gas leaks at the head a badly fitted leaky inlet manifold will cause no end of grief - and depending on whose kit it is a thickness difference between the flanges on the inlet and exhaust maninfolds can be fun to resolve and tighten up adequately - the standard washers won't do the trick....

small tip:

You can check for air leaks on the intake by spraying some deodarant (alcohol based) on the intake gasket. If there is a leak, the deodorant gets sucked into the inlet, getting more combustable mixture into the head and a small rise in RPM. Just be carefull not to overdo it or spray it onto the (hot) exhaust manfold.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

Was this from a first start up newly installed kit? I'd be checking the air filter/gasket hadn't blocked communication ports to the carb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users