#1 Roadrally

Roadrally

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

Hi all, new to the forum.
Just looking for opinion on a 1977 1275 GTS I have bought, original bill of sale, hand book etc. Has had a replacement block as original cracked but that block is still with the car.
It’s a 1 owner from new, owner died 10 years ago and car has just been recommissioned.
The bonnet has been water damaged (surface rust and colour) but the rest of car is fine paint wise and original so here is the question
Do I get the bonnet clear coated to keep the originality or re spray it and have it stand out like a sore thumb?
As it’s a survivor car I’m thinking clear coat.

Opinions please

#2 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

This is one of those personal preference kind of things.

Unless planning to have a full respray down the line, I probably wouldn't get the bonnet repainted on it's own.

Clearcoat could help to preserve what is already there.

Is the bonnet beyond cleaning up with a good polish?

Another option is you could always try and find a donor bonnet that looks old enough to match the rest of the car.

If you can, get some photos up, would be interesting to see the car.

#3 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

Clear coat does't provide lots of protection. There is special ones the "rustoration guys" use. But don't know what is is called.

I personally always prefer patina to all shiny - you can restore a car but you cannot make it genuinelly look aeruginous.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:16 AM

Find a good body shop that is willing to spend the time and they should be able to repaint, with a matting agent, such that you can’t tell the difference from the rest of the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users