#1 agrace

agrace

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:36 AM

Hi all

I've owned classic cars for some time and enjoy pottering around with them and doing maintenance, upgrades and improvements, etc. I'm mechanically literate, but never worked on major bodywork.

I've decided to attempt a complete restoration and thought starting with a physically small project would be a good test.

Consequently, I found a complete, running and driving 1962 Mini 850 in South African whilst I was visiting recently (I'm originally from there). It's with the shipping agents in Cape Town and should be heading this way shortly.

The car is structurally solid with some rust on the body panels and body seams. Solid floors and sills. It's well used and unrestored.

I'm intending to restore it to completely pristine and standard condition to enjoy. Wish me luck and I look forward to taking advantage of your extensive knowledge and advice.

One quick question, is the colour original? I've yet to see a mini with the "white top" extending below the rooftop. If so, I'll restore as per original.

Many thanks.

Regards

Andrew

Attached Files

#2 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

Earlier South African Minis had a two tone option (either red or white above the waistline), they were painted locally so they probably aren't UK colours therefore matching the original colour may be difficult.

The best source of info on SA cars is probably Ryno Verster

https://www.mginfo.c...nisa/index.html

#3 agrace

agrace

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

Bought the South African Mini book by Ryno Verster. It's excellent. Thanks for the tip.

#4 agrace

agrace

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

Well, that took a while, but I'm thrilled that my "new" 1962 mini was delivered on my drive 3 days ago.

There were major delays with the South African licencing and customs authorities. It's been a year since I saw the car in the flesh.

I did note that there was a nice clean 1975 Mini Clubman on the same shipment.

Sorting out Registration at DVLA. Any idea as to the licence plate number format that will be allocated?

I am also looking for the following bootlid badge, part #14A7599. Any ideas?

Regards

Andrew

#5 austinseven

austinseven

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

Well, that took a while, but I'm thrilled that my "new" 1962 mini was delivered on my drive 3 days ago.

There were major delays with the South African licencing and customs authorities. It's been a year since I saw the car in the flesh.

I did note that there was a nice clean 1975 Mini Clubman on the same shipment.

Sorting out Registration at DVLA. Any idea as to the licence plate number format that will be allocated?

I am also looking for the following bootlid badge, part #14A7599. Any ideas?

Regards

Andrew

Did it get stuck on the suez by any chance love the colour combo, I’d try and keep it original  

#6 HIrantha

HIrantha

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Car Club

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:38 PM

The Mini looks lovely. Congratulations!

Is the body colour the one called baby blue? Apparently a popular colour with Austin and Morris.

Hi all

I've owned classic cars for some time and enjoy pottering around with them and doing maintenance, upgrades and improvements, etc. I'm mechanically literate, but never worked on major bodywork.

I've decided to attempt a complete restoration and thought starting with a physically small project would be a good test.

Consequently, I found a complete, running and driving 1962 Mini 850 in South African whilst I was visiting recently (I'm originally from there). It's with the shipping agents in Cape Town and should be heading this way shortly.

The car is structurally solid with some rust on the body panels and body seams. Solid floors and sills. It's well used and unrestored.

I'm intending to restore it to completely pristine and standard condition to enjoy. Wish me luck and I look forward to taking advantage of your extensive knowledge and advice.

One quick question, is the colour original? I've yet to see a mini with the "white top" extending below the rooftop. If so, I'll restore as per original.

Many thanks.

Regards

Andrew

#7 agrace

agrace

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:14 AM

Not sure about colour name, but I love it and will keep original.

Sailed up West coast of Africa. Delay mainly due to Covid (licensing staff shortages) and SA authorities bureaucratic incompetence (ran out of export forms and correct paper to print them on <_< ).

Great to have it here. Been pottering around with it and already had a spin around the block. No structural rot discovered so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users