Photo

1971 Mini Clubman In Purple (Black Tulip). Fitted With New Rob Walker 1380 Engine And Guessworks Gearbox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

E-bay link for pictures - https://www.ebay.co....tm/184465983065

Leading up to my 50th Birthday last year, I bought two cars that I had wanted for quite some time, with the intention of rebuilding and then using alternately for my day to day life.

My Mini Clubman was finished just a couple of months ago and has just finished the first recommended running in period of 500 miles. Sadly, a drastic change in my job situation is now forcing its very premature sale.

1971 Mini Clubman saloon
Black Tulip with silver roof
Webasto sliding sun roof
M.O.T. test exempt
Road tax exempt
4 good tyres
10" Minilite wheels (plus two spares if required)
Cooper S brakes
Cooper S 130 mph speedometer
Current displayed mileage is 49,624

The original owner had this from 1971, right up to 2005 and according to the paperwork he had it stored for about 10 years, so that mileage could be correct.

Here are the details of work completed during my ownership - 
  • It is fitted with a Rob Walker Engineering 1380cc engine which he says is usually good for close to 100bhp when set up as per his advice. 

• With the new engine is a fully rebuilt Guessworks gearbox with a crosspin differential and the essential centre oil pick up.
  • Many new drivetrain and running gear parts have been fitted, including driveshafts, CV joints, tie rod bushes, top and bottom swivels, wheel bearings, engine steady bar bushes etc.

• New main loom
  • New headlights, bowls etc.

• New carpets

• Retrimmed dash

This list could go on and on, in short, over the course of the last year and a half, I have put well over £7K into the car, mainly on the engine and gearbox, it shows.

Suffice to say, it is ready for years of enjoyment after the final running period in and some fine tuning.

Engine work in detail 
Rob Walker engineered Block and Stage III Cylinder head (Later type with no By-pass hose). Balanced pistons and rods.
MED Lightened flywheel and clutch kit, balanced with crank etc.
Piper 270 camshaft
Piper Duplex vernier Camshaft gear kit
KAD Oil pump
MED 1.3 Roller rocker set
MED Alloy timing chain cover with removable front plate
HIF44 carburettor (rebuilt and spare, richer needle available, if required)
MED carburettor stub stack and foam air filter (Much quieter than the cone filters)
Lucas 45D Electronic distributor
Viper Dry resin Sports coil

All new ancillaries and main parts connected to the engine were bought on the advice of Rob Walker.

Gearbox rebuild
A+ rod change box with 3.4 final drive
Speedo correction
A+ Idler gear
Rebushed A+ Primary gear (29 tooth)
A+ Transfer case with breather opening
X-Pin differential
MED H/D clutch arm
H/D release bearing
Guessworks windage tray 
Centre oil pump pick up

The car itself was sourced and bought due to its structural integrity and age. I knew it needed some mechanical work but what I did not want is a rotten car. The colour, age and structural condition led me to buy it on the spot.
Please do be aware thought that this is nigh on a fifty year old car so it does show it's age.

I suspect that it was repainted at some point decades ago and that's showing through now. Although it's a lovely colour and it looks great in the pictures, a show car it is not. Please do consider this when viewing.

It is currently uninsured and will be marked as S.O.R.N. too so this needs to be taken into consideration if a test drive is requested. 

Bank transfer on collection is preferred and it will not leave my ownership until all agreed funds are in my bank.

Please do ask as many questions as you feel are necessary.
If you need further pictures then please do ask for what you need to see and I will see if I have it already but if not I will take more.between 
I am located between the M1 (J15a) and M40 (J10) but please contact me to arrange a viewing, which is recommended.

Thank you for looking.

Edited by Parptoot, 28 September 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

Very nice.

What was the other car?

#3 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Very nice.

What was the other car?

It was a weekend of utter madness. I collected the Mini from Preston on the Saturday with the aid of a friend with a proper covered trailer then the next day I collected a 1983 Land Rover 110 V8 from Surrey.

The Land Rover is staying, for now, but if the situation doesn't change then that too will be sold.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

Does the body number start D20D (can't quite make it out on the photo).

If so, that is actually an early 1275GT shell and may even be pre '71 going by the location of the bonnet prop.  Are there grommets in the top of the inner wings (about 2" diameter)?

It has an interesting mix of bits on it from all over the place. 

The seats are really nice especially with the rest of the GT interior, but its crying out for Mk2/3 rear lights and a proper clubman front bumper and over-riders.

Oh and the fan is on backwards!

Good luck with the sale - that will be a really good buy for someone.

#5 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:54 PM

If it fails to sell then I only have one other option.....Break it up.

That would be a shame but as you've pointed out, it is a bit of a bitsa. Still good, Still fun and still a Mini.

#6 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

Though being an originality freak nowadays, I do quite like the style of your 'bitsa'.
Hope you can sell as a whole car, would be sad if it was broken apart.

#7 Parptoot

Parptoot

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

SOLD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users