19 replies to this topic

#16 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

I do still have my spit.... maybe I should look at doing the underside myself...

Yep, go for it.

I painted my car on a spit. Spent ages on the underside paint to get is looking nearly as good as the topside, then covered it in body wax and never saw the paint again. MOT man was the only person apart from me to ever see the underside clean, and that was only once. Next time I'll concentrate on rust protection rather than finish.

More importantly, while the car is on a spit you can apply all the cavity protection you need and angle the car so the Waxoil or Dinatrol (my choice) runs downhill. It's a comforting feeling to see the cavity protection creeping out between flanges because the sills and other areas are flooded.

#17 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:00 PM

I do still have my spit.... maybe I should look at doing the underside myself...

Yep, go for it.

I painted my car on a spit. Spent ages on the underside paint to get is looking nearly as good as the topside, then covered it in body wax and never saw the paint again. MOT man was the only person apart from me to ever see the underside clean, and that was only once. Next time I'll concentrate on rust protection rather than finish.

More importantly, while the car is on a spit you can apply all the cavity protection you need and angle the car so the Waxoil or Dinatrol (my choice) runs downhill. It's a comforting feeling to see the cavity protection creeping out between flanges because the sills and other areas are flooded.
And after waxoiling make sure all the drain holes are clear else you'll be trapping any water that gets in

#18 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:55 PM

We recently had a problem with cellulose topcoat reacting badly to what was a perfect looking base. This resulted in the paint manufacturer sending up their top tech guy and his boss to the workshop to inspect and advise on the way forward. Something came up in their conversation that was quite interesting and may help anyone contemplating their body prep prior to painting  after bead/sand blasting. They would not recommend the use of an Etch Primer on bare steel preferring to go down the Epoxy Primer route. The reasoning is the acid in the Etch Primer is always present which may cause problems further down the line. Our own problem was resolved.

#19 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:38 PM

Can we ask what your ball park quote figure was? 3k? 4k?

Yeah sure... it was an estimate of £3500 to £4000.. estimate at the moment as they haven't seen the car itself, only photos.

#20 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

21 Guineas for a quickie re-spray...back in the day:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users