9 replies to this topic

#1 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

I need some help from the technical bods please.

I'm busy refurbing parts from my Riley Elf project running gear and have got the the drive shafts.  The shafts that were removed from car are damaged, and unless anyone can advise otherwise look as though they shouldn;t be re-used.

These are them, they're off a drum brake car. I'm guessing the knicks are from running on wrecked CV joints. The knicks are uniform and evenly spaced around the shaft.  What do people think?

50397043781_8c7ef004f0_b.jpg

Assuming they're scrap I dug out a 'set' I have in the spares box.  These came as part of an 8.4" disc set up I bought at an autojumble. 

Below the ones off the car are the 1st & 3rd working left to right.  The spares are 2nd & 3rd.

50396356373_8120d34f74_h.jpg

These are the two left shafts.  The spare has a different detail at one end & is noticeably thinner than the other.

50396356583_2da79c43bc_h.jpg

50397206092_c417873af8_h.jpg

My concerns are;

- The left shaft is different from the one I took off the car, the details around the spline are different. See pic 4. The spare doesn't have the narrowed down details the other has along it's length.

- The left shaft is thinner than both the one taken off the car & the right it's paired with.  Is this a function of the length being shorter on some models?

Main questions are;

1)  Can anyone tell me what this spare left shaft is? What model it may be off? 

2)  Is this actually a pair?

3) Can it be correctly used as a pair given the different in thickness?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by humph, 29 September 2020 - 09:30 AM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

They are Pot Joint type shafts, but best check the lengths as they maybe from a Mini but could be from another car.

While they are marked, I wouldn't be too concerned with the reliability of them or any other issues.

When these shafts break, it's not at that point but in the groove where the thick ring has been fitted.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

They wouldn't worry me - even if upgrading to discs.

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

Thanks guys. 

Any thoughts on the odd one out left shaft?  The two lefts are the same length and have the same number of splines, they seem the same apart from where the pot joint is mounted & the thickness.

#5 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned either, just nicks, I have seen far worse !!

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

There were changes to driveshafts over the years.  I'd suggest your spare set aren't actually a pair and the one with the heavy circlip at both ends is probably pre-pot joints.

In the last photo is does look a few mm longer in the splines, but I doubt that would be an issue.

Edited by GraemeC, 29 September 2020 - 11:28 AM.

#7 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

There were changes to driveshafts over the years.  I'd suggest your spare set aren't actually a pair and the one with the heavy circlip at both ends is probably pre-pot joints.

In the last photo is does look a few mm longer in the splines, but I doubt that would be an issue.

Cheers Graeme. I think I'll re-use the marked ones off the car as new ones seem massively pricey.  

I'd agree regarding them not being a pair.  In this video Steveson are working on what look like my rogue driveshaft, and they say theirs are from an auto. In a shot at 1.02 minutes he shows both shafts together.  It would appear I do have a mismatched pair here, one possibly from an auto.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:36 PM

Cheers Graeme. I think I'll re-use the marked ones off the car as new ones seem massively pricey.  

I'd agree regarding them not being a pair.  In this video Steveson are working on what look like my rogue driveshaft, and they say theirs are from an auto. In a shot at 1.02 minutes he shows both shafts together.  It would appear I do have a mismatched pair here, one possibly from an auto.

Not off pre pot joints. As pot and not pot are totally different.  One has most likely just come from a different supplier. Not actually seen one like that though.

#9 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

Pre pot-joints had only the outer end c clip & a different spline on the inner.

I’d think the different profile would either be a production cost saving for maybe an aftermarket one. Either way all looks fine. Are the nicks in the right spot to come from hitting the CV joint off with a hammer/punch?

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

I suspect the nicks are from a CV removal tool:

maxresdefault.jpg

The scratched arcs are probably from the CV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users