7 replies to this topic

#1 sharkojoints

sharkojoints

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:33 AM

I'm replacing the rear valance on my 1984 Mini 25, and having nearly cut the old one off I'm thinking about how to fit the nice new one.

Obviously I was going to use the conventional way of drilling and plug welding it, but is there any reason why it can't be bolted on? I'm thinking this would be easier to paint and prep to keep rust away in future, as well as easier to remove to clean the muck out.

Thoughts?

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:37 AM

Well, it is part of a three layer welded joint etc so adds to the overall strength in that area, something being bolted will not do.

But how much strength does it impart?? Personally i would go with the design and weld it all together. Use the right products will protect it.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

This is possibly one place on a Mini where a good panel bond product could probably be used to good effect.

#4 sharkojoints

sharkojoints

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:21 PM

Well that clears that one up  ;D

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

A bolted, riveted or bonded (or corroded) rear valance could result in an mot failure as it's likely to be considered an inadequate repair as the ends of the valance fall within 30cm of the rear subframe rear mountings.
The valance would need to be spot/plug or continuously welded within 30cm of the subframe mounts.

#6 sharkojoints

sharkojoints

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

Thanks - I'm a Land Rover guy, really, so my instinct is to simplify and add weight  ;D

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

If it were bonded on using a good structural adhesive, it seems likely that no-one would notice. Modern structural adhesives are very strong.

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

If it were bonded on using a good structural adhesive, it seems likely that no-one would notice. Modern structural adhesives are very strong.

You can get adhesives with small glass beads in to make sure that when you clamp it up there is enough of the adhesive in the gap to make the joint sufficently strong (so you don't squeeze it all out).

Personally I would weld it  as thats how its meant to be, I would leave bonding panels on to more modern cars or areas where its not structural (bolted on panels).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users