#1 hoskinsss

hoskinsss

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:28 PM

Hi,

how did the factory attach the Outer Sills to the floor panel? I assumed spot welds in between each of the drain vents/flutes, but I don’t see any telltale spot weld indentations along the inside of the floor panel? Where I can I am trying to maintain originality and therefore emulate the original factory methods.

cheers

simon

#2 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:16 AM

It would definitely have been spot welded from the factory in between the vents, if you grind off the paint
From the outside you will see spot welds, you won’t see them on the inside until you remove the sound deadening
And maybe not even then you couldn’t see the welds on mine from inside or outside until I removed paint
Unless you are going for total originality and have access to a spot welder I would drill and plug weld them back on

Watch this

https://youtu.be/8_AHZu8f7ys

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

You can start teasing the edge of the sill away from the edges of the flutes with a thin chisel if you can't find the spot welds. This will show the edges of the spot welds as dimples and you can then drill them as you discover them.

Of course we are assuming that they are the original spot welded sills and that they haven't been replaced and plug welded on in which case you won't find the welds especially if they have been linished back nicely.

Edited by Ben_O, 04 October 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#4 hoskinsss

hoskinsss

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:09 AM

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users