22 replies to this topic

#16 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

Just a question purely out of interest. When the door is finally fitting correctly in the door frame and I mean generally not just for this OP. Will fitting the glass, regulator and door furniture make it sag and knock the alignment out again?

When you set a bare door, you want it to kick up slightly at the back so that it pulls down slightly on the striker but it must line up correctly once latched.

Some people choose to dry build the doors to nake sure.

That said, if everything is solid and there is no sag in the door or a post, the weight of the assembled door won't make a great difference 

#17 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:30 PM

Expect the unexpected with a mini...

Always throws a curve ball at you when you least expect it...

#18 JimMPI

JimMPI

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:19 AM

My mini's doors are sagging on their hinges.  They line up fine once closed but you have to lift them slightly whilst closing them (or give them a big slam!).  Are hinge shims the answer to this? Or new hinges?  How difficult a job is it to do this on your own?  It's a 1999 MPI

Many thanks!

#19 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

My mini's doors are sagging on their hinges.  They line up fine once closed but you have to lift them slightly whilst closing them (or give them a big slam!).  Are hinge shims the answer to this? Or new hinges?  How difficult a job is it to do this on your own?  It's a 1999 MPI

Many thanks!

If they are sagging on the hinges then its new hinge time. And i recommend genuine over pattern ones. More expensive but pattern hinges can be very hit and miss as i know full well.

Changing them is straight fwd, don't forget to disconnect the door stay first (whip the pin out) and if you have door speakers disconnect any cables. Also with the age of your car i think you find the screws that attach the hinges to the door will be Torx screws. I would also recommend you use a impact screwdriver to remove them.

Make sure you put plenty of tape around the edge of the door skin and door step / sill for protection.

#20 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

Sometimes if there isn't much detectable play in the hinges, you can get away with this little trick.

With the door open about 1/3rd of the way, take hold of it from the back edge and give it a sharp tug upwards.

This often is enough to get the door back inline and prevent it from dragging on the striker.

worst case scenario is it doesn't work and you've lost nothing.

but as I said, this won't work if there is play in both hinges.

The use of shims are more likely to just mess up the door alignment than sort the issue.

As Neil said, replacing the hinges is the most long term solution and if you are lucky, you will get a set that are suitable. Sometimes, they are quite poor.

good used ones are a pretty good bet.

#21 JimMPI

JimMPI

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:19 PM

Thanks both.  Is there any likelihood of bolts shearing or any issues with corrosion in the A-pillar causing difficulties?  There's no visible corrosion when the door is open.

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't want to take the door off and find I can't get it back on again for whatever reason.  I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic, but is this a job I can tackle myself or something better to let a garage do?

#22 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

Thanks both.  Is there any likelihood of bolts shearing or any issues with corrosion in the A-pillar causing difficulties?  There's no visible corrosion when the door is open.

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't want to take the door off and find I can't get it back on again for whatever reason.  I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic, but is this a job I can tackle myself or something better to let a garage do?

As long as you have a set of replacement hinges to hand you should be ok. The biggest thing and the reason why i mentioned an impact screwdriver is removing the fasteners from the hinge to door carcass. This have a habit of stripping the head depending on how long they have been fitted for.

Buying new nuts etc for the hinge to A post side is a must as the old nuts coming off could be in poor condition.

#23 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

Always take your time with the hinge nuts and make sure you clean away any sealer, dirt or corrosion away from the threads.

I always first turn the nuts clockwise a fraction and then unscrew a turn, thrn tighten half a turn then loosen a turn and so on.

Even if the a post was hanging, you would still be able to get the door back on and if it was bad, you would see it so should be fine there.

Basically, unscrewing the hinge nuts is the biggest challenge as they are exposed to the elements  and sometimes snap.

Edited by Ben_O, 24 October 2020 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users