Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hello

1993 L reg SPI Cooper

I am taking almost everything apart (that's how it feels anyway)

Opportunistically

I'm replacing the brake master cylinder and the bushes in the top engine steady (while I'm there)

I've also taken the servo and the frame thing out to clean it all up, including the exposed bulkhead

Then I thought I'd order a servo repair kit

Opportunistically, it makes sense to open it up and replace the perishables while I'm here

I managed to separate the two halves of the metal servo unit

I was quite pleased with myself

It didn't last long

I've now got the obvious, easy things off and out 

All two of them

I'm left with the parts in the attached photos, but I don't know and google isn't telling me how to take this lot apart

Can you lovely people help?

Rubber seal trapped / held between two plastic things

Do they pull apart, unscrew, is there a thing to push / prod?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

#2 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

I did a little more fettling and compared what I had taken off the car with the components of the Mini Spares servo repair kit

I now know where almost all the parts go (and come off)

But....

I still don't know how to get the spindly thing with a spring on it out of the black plastic thing that sits inside the servo

See attached

The thing(s) in the red rectangle

How do I get the old ones out?

And what's the lubricant / grease / seal pouch for?

Attached Files

Edited by Elwyn, 15 October 2020 - 06:58 PM.

#3 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

I just went through this same hell.. couldn't find much info. the two plastic pieces holding the big rubber seal are all one piece you should be able to stretch it over the smaller half to get it off.  the part you have circled is held in with a metal tab, once you get the big rubber seal off you will see it. To get it out all you have to do is push the plunger in by hand and flip the plastic piece and gravity should allow the metal tab to fall out. then the whole valve assembly comes out. Hope that helps, as for the big seal removal I only mentioned how I did it, not sure that is the correct way. I think the lubricant is for the rubber seal where it meets the housing pieces as well. 

#4 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:48 PM

I just went through this same hell.. couldn't find much info. the two plastic pieces holding the big rubber seal are all one piece you should be able to stretch it over the smaller half to get it off. the part you have circled is held in with a metal tab, once you get the big rubber seal off you will see it. To get it out all you have to do is push the plunger in by hand and flip the plastic piece and gravity should allow the metal tab to fall out. then the whole valve assembly comes out. Hope that helps, as for the big seal removal I only mentioned how I did it, not sure that is the correct way. I think the lubricant is for the rubber seal where it meets the housing pieces as well.

#5 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

Thanks
That worked perfectly
Had to run out to the shed with a torch to try it
Absolutely brilliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic