#1 mattrsa

mattrsa

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

Hi All 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am looking suspension kits on mini spares as mine needs replacing.

On a number of the kits (hi lows and shocks) there are 2 options, std shocks or lowered. I thought the point of installing the hi lows was that you can adjust the ride height to be lower than standard. At what point would I need to go for the lowered shock version over the std?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Matt

#2 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

If you want to run a lower ride height than standard, you need shocks for lowered ride height. This is the case however you lower it, hi-los, similar or cut down trumpets.
You need lowered shocks so that the shock is operating within it's designed range and also so that the rear rubber cones can't fall out of place at full droop.

Exactly how much lower before you need lowered shocks, I wouldn't hazard a guess.

#3 mattrsa

mattrsa

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

thanks for the quick response Algordo. 

Just did not understand why someone would purchase hi lows, which are designed to allow you to lower the car, and then combine them with standard shocks. 

thanks again

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:12 PM

They allow you to fine tune the ride height. "Lowered" is a subjective term when it comes to dampers. Here's a comparison chart.

Too long when closed and you'll suddenly run out of suspension and very probably break something.

Too long when open and your suspension, particularly the rear, could fall apart.

Too little stroke and your tyres will lift off the road.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:12 PM

thanks for the quick response Algordo. 

Just did not understand why someone would purchase hi lows, which are designed to allow you to lower the car, and then combine them with standard shocks. 

thanks again

Err there are other reasons to fit HiLos you may want to raise the car so standard shocks will be fine. Or you might want the increase in spring rate that they give and keep the standard shocks. 

#6 mattrsa

mattrsa

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:15 PM

thanks for the additional replies, had not considered that the hi lows could raise the car above standard height. 

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

As said Hi-Lo's also increase the spring rate due to a larger contact lip area to the rubber suspension cone.

Original 1970's Hi-Lo Ad here:-

http://www.theminifo...hive/?p=2617559

Edited by mab01uk, 20 October 2020 - 04:55 PM.

#8 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

I read Calver’s stuff online, gleaned what I could from TMF and plumped for MED ‘hi-lows’, Red spot cones, raised front mounts from Mini Spares and Koni adjustable lowered shocks. I think I pulled it off, all seems fine, the problem is I’ve nothing to benchmark it against - the cones I removed were the tired originals as were the shocks and at the same time I also switched to 10” wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users