Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:46 AM

Hello

1993 L reg SPI Cooper

What’s the “thing” sitting above the coil?

It looks like a condenser of some description

There’s no mention of this whateveritis in Haynes or in the manual illustrations on Mini Spares website

I’m wondering if a previous owner has fitted something odd. Perhaps even the wrong coil?

I assume I need GCL143 which is listed with no mention of a condenser

Can you help?

Attached Files

Edited by Elwyn, 25 October 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

It's a RF suppressor to stop your radio being interfered with. It is a capacitor, virtually the same as the condenser .

#3 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:57 AM

It's a RF suppressor to stop your radio being interfered with. It is a capacitor, virtually the same as the condenser .

#4 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:59 AM

Thank you.
Don’t currently have a radio or CD player as I can’t find one without arrays of hideous flashing lights but now I know what it is, I’ll leave it alone

#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:25 PM

Thank you.
Don’t currently have a radio or CD player as I can’t find one without arrays of hideous flashing lights but now I know what it is, I’ll leave it alone

OEM 80s and 90s Austin Rover / Rover radio cassette players turn up on eBay fairly frequently. Great to have somewhere to play your cassette collection, and no flashing lights!

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:41 PM

Thank you.

I know what you mean, but you can turn the mobile disco display off on a lot of them. Some are also less deep than the old school jobbies that had to swallow a cassette, CD etc. - handy in a Mini. Then there's phone integration & remote controls.

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:24 PM

I was looking up radios awhile back and are some VERY clean designs out there that are geared towards classic cars from the 80s-90s. These days, all anyone really needs is Bluetooth really. Saves space in the dasd AND around the car. 

#8 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

I was looking up radios awhile back and are some VERY clean designs out there that are geared towards classic cars from the 80s-90s. These days, all anyone really needs is Bluetooth really. Saves space in the dasd AND around the car. 

Any links to the clean designs? All my cassettes sound like hissing wind and bluetooth is beyond me. 

#9 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

https://www.ecstunin...AyABEgKyrPD_BwE

https://www.maxim.co...r-46-dab-2019-7

I didn't save any but these are what I found in a quick search. I'm over in the US so sorry if these are on this side. The idea is that they are out there. The VDO version has got me really interested now as Rover used VDO gauges (so it kinda suits the car) and it really isn't far off from the standard Rover unit I have in the car currently. 

What type of music media are you looking to play, CDs or just the radio? I am done with the radio...wish I would have done away with the antenna/hole when I was replacing that fender but technology wasn't there yet. Now, its just so easy to stream all your music. No wires, no extra clutter AND just look at how compact the backside of that first headhunt I sent is!! The second is specifically for older Porsche's...so I'm sure its a small fortune.

#10 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:18 AM

This European brand makes a few headunits that have a classic look:

http://webshop.calib...s-universal-422

#11 E23TFD

E23TFD

Mini Mad